• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

growling rabbit?

xx-snowball-xx

Wise Old Thumper
bubbles growls at me :shock:
(similar to the bubbles i had as a child, she used to growl at me too :lol:)
is it normal for her to growl?

she is going for her myxi on tuesday, so she will get a vet check then, but i don't think it's because she is in pain or anything. it's an intermittent growl. i have done a "check" where i have touched / stroked different parts of her body and there was no place where she growled any time i touched. which i imagine she would do if she was in pain?

it seems to be when she feels someone is invading her space?

she growls when she has had enough of being stroked sometimes or if i open the door of the cage to feed her and change the litter tray etc.

she also growled when i held some banana through the bars for her - she made it very clear that she doesn't' like bananas :shock:

is it normal for her to growl like that or do i need to have her checked at the vets sooner than next week?

just to re-iterate, i am absolutely 100% sure that she isn't in pain, if there was the slightest thought in my mind that it could be because she was in pain, she would have seen a vet already. but if you all think i've misjudged and she needs to see a vet, i will of course take her.

Carlo growls for the same reasons, just to let me know, eh gerroff now, or stroke me not her mummeh

ah that's good, he sounds so cute :D

i wasn't sure, am glad it's normal, because i can remember my childhood rabbit doing it, but neither of my mum's do and snowball doesn't, so i was a bit worried :lol:

Marvin growls when something has annoyed him. For example he gets very irritated when I hoover his territorial poops up from his room, and will spend the rest of the day growling when I go near him.

Rabbits can just be weird :lol:

It also might be cause bubbles doesn't trust you yet, she may be a bit wary of your company.

You got a new bunny? :shock:

Is she spayed? My unspayed does when I was younger would sometimes growl when they were being particularly terrotorial over their hutch.

Marvin growls when something has annoyed him. For example he gets very irritated when I hoover his territorial poops up from his room, and will spend the rest of the day growling when I go near him.

Rabbits can just be weird :lol:

It also might be cause bubbles doesn't trust you yet, she may be a bit wary of your company.

:lol::lol::lol:
love it, he certainly knows what he wants :D

I think she is still wary. Sometimes she will come to the door of the cage when I open it, other times she will run to the other side.
She is so funny, she has her little moods. Sometimes she wants to be sociable, other times she doesn't.

It's nice observing her behaviour. Snowball is just like "mummy come get me noooooow" whereas i am having to learn when bubbles wants attention :)

You got a new bunny? :shock:

Is she spayed? My unspayed does when I was younger would sometimes growl when they were being particularly terrotorial over their hutch.

i sure did, we picked her up from the rescue on saturday :)

she was spayed a few weeks ago, so maybe it's because her hormones aren't settled yet :)

And a bit off topic, but is snowball getting a lady friend then? ;)
he is :D she has her myxi jab on tuesday. once she has had her vhd and recovered from that, i will start bonding them together :)

I think growling is the same as it is in other species, a warning, she's not happy about something or not happy with you for some reason and is saying back off. I would try and work out what is upsetting her, maybe she is feeling a bit scared, fear can also trigger growling and lunging.:)

All my girls grunt and sometimes growl they are just grumpy women. They do ut mostly at feeding time or when I want to pick them up

Max is a growler :roll: He was doing it to the dustpan and brush a minute ago as I was sweeping up some hay he'd dug out of his litter tray. He stood there doing binkies on the spot and growling :roll:
He also growls when I feed him, give him hay, give him a treat, occasionally when I stroke him, if he's being naughty and I tell him off, if im in the kitchen and NOT giving him food, if I dare to take my flip flop/mail/shopping off him as hes gnawing it! And its usually accompanied by a head binky aswell :lol::love:

Willow grunts at me. She has done since we got her at 8 and a half weeks old and shes 13weeks tomorrow. She just grunts when I lift her up though.

None of my boys have ever grunted or growled at me.

Back