• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Swimming?

Has anyone ever known a rabbit to swim?

There are some videos on Youtube of people forcing their rabbit to swim by putting it in a swimming pool or paddling pool. This is an immensly cruel thing to do. Swimming is not a natural action for a rabbit.

in watership down they float on a raft to escape the evil rabbits of efrafa and maybe one of them swims to push the raft - extreme circumstances though!

I thought this was very dangerous for them because they wuld have trouble regulating their temperature when wet? :shock:

I think they will swim if they have to, i.e. being chased by something and they come to a stream and have to get across it. But I think if they had a choice they wouldn't want to!

I've heard that they don't actually swim, they go into 'survival mode' which makes means they freeze and float around.

It is terrifying for a rabbit and the videos on Youtube are just awful and show how ignorant most of the worlds population is.

I should think they'd only ever do it if the alternative was worse, ie a predator.

No their bodies aren't designed to be aquatic at all, they are designed for being on land. Swimming is not enjoyable for a rabbit no way never. I think anyone trying it is doing it for a twisted sense of amusement on their part.

There are some videos on Youtube of people forcing their rabbit to swim by putting it in a swimming pool or paddling pool. This is an immensly cruel thing to do. Swimming is not a natural action for a rabbit.

Apparently the rabbits seem to stop swimming and float and people find it cute and funny but I read somewhere that it is because they are so scared they freeze, (as mattyp said) and stick their heads in the air for breaths. Tbh I think whoever does put their rabbit in a swimming pool or even paddling pool for the fun of it or because they look like they're enjoying it, have something wrong with them :shock: Definitely not natural :?

Well....my first rabbit voluntarily jumped into the pond and (after initially being rather surprised that the lily pad on the surface couldn't sustain her weight :lol:) promptly swam to the side without difficulty or harm. My second rabbit willingly waded in and swam a little to eat the stuff growing in the centre of the pond :roll:

I guess it just depends on how much they really need to be in the water?

Well....my first rabbit voluntarily jumped into the pond and (after initially being rather surprised that the lily pad on the surface couldn't sustain her weight :lol:) promptly swam to the side without difficulty or harm. My second rabbit willingly waded in and swam a little to eat the stuff growing in the centre of the pond :roll:

I guess it just depends on how much they really need to be in the water?

Thats different, I'd imagine they didn't realise tbh - they aren't likely to have thought - 'oh I'll just take a dip and go for a swim in the pond, I fancy a swim'. They aren't amphibious by nature. :)

Thats different, I'd imagine they didn't realise tbh - they aren't likely to have thought - 'oh I'll just take a dip and go for a swim in the pond, I fancy a swim'. They aren't amphibious by nature. :)

I was just replying to question in the the first post "Has anyone ever known a rabbit to swim?" - by which case yes, I have known rabbits to swim :wave:

I was just replying to question in the the first post "Has anyone ever known a rabbit to swim?" - by which case yes, I have known rabbits to swim :wave:

Yes I see that, I was just highlighting that rabbits aren't amphibious creatures/species in case people think it's fine to pop them in the pond :wave:

Back