• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi Vaccine

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
My two buns just had their myxi vaccines today and the vet didn't do the thing where a tiny bit goes into the skin. I asked her and she said it was a new vaccine that they had which was just sub-cutaneous :? They've been to that vet clinic for years and it's always been with a bit into the skin as well.

Are they properly protected or is this a completely wrong way to administer it?

i havent heard about the bit into the skin that you mention but bumping for you! hopefully someone else will know!

By my understanding, there is only one myxi vaccine and a little should always go under the skin too.

100% it was myxi :?

I am not aware of any other Myxomatos Vaccine apart from the Nobivac one, 10% of which MUST be given into the Dermis

This is exactly what I thought :( I'm going to ring up the vets and ask which one they use...

I'm not happy.
They do use Nobivac and I spoke to them about it but they are "100% sure that my rabbits are fully covered" even thought I've "had a little look on the internet". I told them that I've always had them done with them with some in the skin but they didn't want to know.

I'm moving vets. This is the final straw.

What can I do to make sure my buns are safe? How much less protected are they with just a sub cutaneous injection??

(oh and thanks for the bump roseberry :) )

Last edited:
I'm not happy.
They do use Nobivac and I spoke to them about it but they are "100% sure that my rabbits are fully covered" even thought I've "had a little look on the internet". I told them that I've always had them done with them with some in the skin but they didn't want to know.

I'm moving vets. This is the final straw.

So are they saying that the definitely did NOT do the 10% into the dermis ?

Or is it that you only saw them inject into the scruff and not into the ear base too. It is possible to inject intradermally into the scruff, it's just a bit trickier as the skin is not so thick there.

If they are saying that they DEFINITELY did not do an intradermal dose then I'd request the Vet concerned puts that IN WRITING, aswell as his/her reasons as to why.

You can then go to another Vet and request just the intradermal dose of the vaccine is done.

I'd then invoice the original Vet for the costs you incur in having to get part of the vaccination re-done. I'd also copy all correspondence to the RCVS.

http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/complaints/i-want-to-make-a-complaint/

Yes she definitely put the whole thing into their scruffs sub subcutaneously, none went in to the dermis at all. When she did Mork's vaccine first I asked her why she'd done it all sub cut and she said it was OK to do it like that. I'm worried for all the other buns she's done like this whos owners haven't questioned it :(

Thank you for this information Jacks-Jane. Its great to know what to do in this situation. I hate my vets because they are always quite rude to me but I've continued going because they have always been good with my pets... but now they're messing up my animals health too :? I'm not pleased!

Just to add to what Jane has said, when FHB has vaccinated my bunnies she has talked to me about how she doesn't use the ear for the 10% but lifts the needle in the same place (scruff area) and then puts it under the skin, this takes a lot of practice. She said she "puts at least 10% under the skin and this, in her opinion is the most important part of the vaccination".

I'd definitely want to follow it up as I don't think they are well enough protected. Doesn't it make you angry when you go to the trouble of vaccinating and this happens :evil:

My vet just called back and had rang the company that supplies the vaccine and is willing to have me back this afternoon to give them some intradermaly. At least they'll get fully vaccinated now.

My vet never does any of the myxi in the ear:(

He does pause part way through the injections and seems to move the needle. He always does this. Does this sound OK? Mine are all due at the moment so I want to make sure he is doing it correctly.

Mark told me the reasons behind putting some under the skin is it give immunity quicker. He always does it in the ear which I think is best cos then you know for sure it's been done properly.

my vet only inserts the needle once but as said before, it is possible to do the skin bit like this - maybe mine is a well practised vet!

Dosage and administration

Transfer the contents of one vial of the solvent supplied (Nobivac Solvent) into the vaccine vial by syringe and agitate until the lyophilisate is fully dissolved.
The vaccine should be reconstituted immediately before use with the solvent supplied.
Reconstituted Nobivac Myxo should be used immediately and should not be stored.
The contents of one vial of reconstituted vaccine should be injected into rabbits of 6 weeks of age or older. The nature of the virus is such that, in order to achieve best protection, 0.1 ml of each dose of the reconstituted vaccine should be administered by intradermal injection.

The intradermal injection is best administered in the relatively thick skin on the dorsal aspect at the base of the ear, using a 25g x 5/8″ needle and may be achieved by partial needle withdrawal following the subcutaneous injection. Alternatively, the subcutaneous injection can be given at a more commonly used site e.g. in the scruff of the neck.
Sterile equipment should be used for administration. Avoid contamination of vaccine with traces of chemical sterilising agents. Do not use chemicals such as disinfectants or spirit to disinfect the skin prior to inoculation.
In the present state of knowledge no firm recommendation for revaccination frequency can be made but it is suggested that animals should be revaccinated annually in May/June just prior to the myxomatosis season as most myxomatosis in Britain occurs in late summer, autumn and early winter months. Where there is high risk of myxomatosis infection revaccination every six months is suggested.

Just to add to what Jane has said, when FHB has vaccinated my bunnies she has talked to me about how she doesn't use the ear for the 10% but lifts the needle in the same place (scruff area) and then puts it under the skin, this takes a lot of practice. She said she "puts at least 10% under the skin and this, in her opinion is the most important part of the vaccination".

she did this with Barney! except i didnt know what it was she was doing - didnt like to ask as just knew she would be doing the right thing :) havent noticed my vet do it like this before but will asking to confirm now - now i know what its about!

Does anyone think I should wait until tomorrow to get the buns extra vaccination bit done. They seem a bit sleepy and subdued since the vaccine and they are both very nervie buns, I don't want to stress them too much with a second vet visit. Or should I just get it over and done with??

Oh and thanks again everyone for your help :D

Does anyone think I should wait until tomorrow to get the buns extra vaccination bit done. They seem a bit sleepy and subdued since the vaccine and they are both very nervie buns, I don't want to stress them too much with a second vet visit. Or should I just get it over and done with??

Oh and thanks again everyone for your help :D

Under the circumstances I think the Vet should come to you................................

Makes you wonder how many others have been done incorrectly there and their owners don't know any better :(

Back