• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks **Good News and Photos post 22

mummyb

Warren Scout
Ok for over a week now i have been bathing my Rogers painful hocks 3 times a day with salt water and he's on baytril (1.2ml twice a day) for 3 days.
I also bought a whole load of foam mats (1 week ago) and 2 quilt covers (4days ago) for the floor of the house base and playhouse. He gets outside now and then on slabs and/or grass and his not been allowed to roam around the house :(
I have also bandaged up his most painful foot thanks to Jack's-Jane post (although much harder to do on a real bun :lol:) but now looks like the other has gotten worse :(

His poor foot don't seem to be getting any better and he's not due to see the vet for another week :O he is on a 10 day course of antibiotics and it has only been 3 days......am i being impatient? Or should things be improving by now?

This is just after a clean so a little more red than usual.

Last edited:
Have you tried him with the actual duvet rather than the cover? That would give his feet somewhere to sink into. The other thing you can do is have a thick layer of hay for him to walk and rest on. Have you tried any cream, like sudocrem?

They look sore, poor guy. Is he still with his lady?

As Ali says the absolute best tng for them is a deep bed of hay, sometimes its impractical. I'm sorry the foam isn't helping. You might have to experiment with lots of different highs and 'layers' of things. Maybe foam mats, plastic sheet and then a duvet for instance? Beware of things too abrasive. I found vet bed for example made it worse cos it wore the fur away. It may be something you just have to manage until autumn when the fur starts regrowing. :(

Have you tried Nelson's Calendula cream(for rough skin) from health stores like Holland & Barratt?
I have used it with great success in the past for a bun's very sore inner leg from incontinence (on our rabbit savvy vet's recommendation).:)
(and also it cleared up my eczema:)).

It smells gorgeous(of marigolds) and feels a delicate cream, absorbing easily and soothing quickly.

It's about 4 pounds for a 30g tube - (you can order it online but the postage is hefty-about 3 pounds).

If you are using other creams or antibiotic ointments I would check with the pharmacist that it goes with them.

sue:wave:

Have you tried him with the actual duvet rather than the cover? That would give his feet somewhere to sink into. The other thing you can do is have a thick layer of hay for him to walk and rest on. Have you tried any cream, like sudocrem?

They look sore, poor guy. Is he still with his lady?

Yes Ali I ment to say duvet :oops: not duvet cover big difference i know....sorry!
I stopped putting quite so much hay down as tiny little bits were sticking to his sores :(
I now have the foam down then, then 2 duvet covers folded over (i will buy another 2 to replace them) and I've put a load of hay on top of all that too.

Jessica is still in there :D much better behaviour from both and she's finally leaving poor Roger alone.
Although she's being a pain and emptying the litter box everywhere :roll:

I would get something to put on the hocks too, like the cream suggested before, or sudocrem or aloe vera gel. They should help soothe the hocks.

Adds Nelson's Calendula cream to the shopping list :D
Thanks I will try anything and everything now!

My vet only gave me baytril for him no creams :( I at least thought he would get a cream.

I think Roger may have killed me by Autumn Schuette :shock: he hates me cleaning his feet and they both hate me cleaning the house area all the time :roll: Roger says he is sick of it!! :lol:

**Do I put the cream on then bandage him? or keep the bandages off??

Does Roger have any health issues which may be causing this problem? Possibly urinary issues preventing him from controlling where he wees, or excessive weeing?

Does Roger have any health issues which may be causing this problem? Possibly urinary issues preventing him from controlling where he wees, or excessive weeing?

No Roger uses his little tray and is bottom is dry and clean so from what i can tell (not kept Rabbits that long) the only reason for this is because of his size although he is a perfect weight according to the vet. There is no real cause except all the scuffling during bonding? Only reason i can think of :?

I used sudocrem and LOTS of hay when Charlies were bad.

Also it's important to keep the nails nice and short!

I used sudocrem and LOTS of hay when Charlies were bad.

Also it's important to keep the nails nice and short!

How do you stop him eating the cream?? And how do you stop the cream sticking to all the hay? :lol:

Nails have been checked to, there was no need to cut them as they are quite short anyway.
I'm not 100% sure my vets rabbit savvy :cry: so that doesn't help.

How do you stop him eating the cream?? And how do you stop the cream sticking to all the hay? :lol:

Nails have been checked to, there was no need to cut them as they are quite short anyway.
I'm not 100% sure my vets rabbit savvy :cry: so that doesn't help.

I put the cream on twice a day, while it soaked in i wrapped him in a soft blanket and cuddled him on my knee for half an hour. Then put him on the floor on the blanket and the bits of cream would come off on that so there was nothing to lick

When i put cream on Inca's feet, i apply the cream then put a baby sock on her for a bit to let the cream dry in.

I put the cream on twice a day, while it soaked in i wrapped him in a soft blanket and cuddled him on my knee for half an hour. Then put him on the floor on the blanket and the bits of cream would come off on that so there was nothing to lick

I'm lucky i can hold Roger long enough to get his feet washed and meds given let alone wrap a blanket round him for 30mins :lol::lol: Thanks for the hint though ;)

When i put cream on Inca's feet, i apply the cream then put a baby sock on her for a bit to let the cream dry in.

Ohh i could try socks! Thanks :D
I wonder foot shoe size Roger is? His feet are bigger than mine :lol::lol:

I'd be careful not to let any cream get on the fur or it may made the problem worse by damaging the fur. :)

I'd be careful not to let any cream get on the fur or it may made the problem worse by damaging the fur.

Oh didn't know that :oops: thank you!
I've bought the Nelson's Calendula cream so fingers crossed that works.....the socks didn't :( He ripped them off instant and is now sitting on them :roll: he refuse to move so I can put them back on :lol:

My vet actually said to put witch hazel on to toughen up the skin. I managed to sort it by other means in the end although they are starting to get pink again so I might try it. You have to keep an eye that they don't ingest it though.

Ohhh Witch Hazel may try that! I seen someone else saying to use 2nd skin spray to help it harden?! Not sure about this though as it would be very hard to spray on and not affect the fur.

I've used Savlon Active Gel on hocks which was recommended on here. I like it because it is absorbed very quickly and doesn't flatten the fur down like some creams do. Personally I thinking treating sore hocks is very much trial and error - seems to depend on the bun as to what works, as you can see we all use different things!

Well done on managing to do the bandages. I dread ever having to do that :shock:

I've used Savlon Active Gel on hocks which was recommended on here. I like it because it is absorbed very quickly and doesn't flatten the fur down like some creams do. Personally I thinking treating sore hocks is very much trial and error - seems to depend on the bun as to what works, as you can see we all use different things!

Well done on managing to do the bandages. I dread ever having to do that :shock:

thanks another cream added to the list :) The rabbits first aid box is bigger then my childrens now :oops:

And the bandages is very much trial and error too :lol: As long as hubby is holding him and feeding him while I put the bandages on it works!

Back