• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For those of you with house bunnies...

How much time out do they have?

• 2-3 hrs

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 4-5 hrs

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • 6-7 hrs

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 8-9 hrs

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 10-11 hrs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12+ hrs

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • 24 hrs

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • It depends- please explain below

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I would love to be able to give my two all day out but due to them currently living in our bedroom/living room it is nit practicalnand I can only leave them alone for 1 min before they could be up to mischief, whether its Jimby stealing out of thw bin or Cookie digging on our bed, if I am home then they are out so long as I am mostly in our room andceill get around 4-5 hrs in total all day but on the days I am out they probably only get about 2-3 :(
Hoping this can change though as they are moving upstairs on Sunday and we are kitting the room out so they can be more or less free range all day as long as someone is in the house and able to check on them once in a while.

I've bunny proofed...as much as I van without living in a rabbit hutch...my lounge and kitchen so when I wake up she comes out her cage and stays out all day until I go to bed whether I'm working or not. I have to keep her in a cage at night for her own safety as I sleep walk and she's so affectionate and always under my feet I'm scared I'll tread on her!!!! She doesn't seem to mind, she goes in happily, gets her dinner and hops on top of her maple logs!

When we had Roger and Peter they were out 3hrs or so day time then out after dinner till bed time (they don't agree with me keeping children). When we lost Peter, Roger was alone and the house door was open from morning till night and he came in and out as he pleased. Only room that isn't rabbit proofed is the study so that door stays shut.

Since then we have another new bun who doesn't like people or children :lol: so before bonding Roger was out and Jessica was in 'her area' but now we are in the middle of bonding :roll: so things may change again after they finally become best friends ;)

Buckley has free range of my bedroom 24/7 :) It works well because it forces OH to tidy up after himself :D
He has a section of the room that is definitely his e.g. where his base is etc but he's free to roam the room as he pleases :)

I've put 24 hours but I'm now not sure what you mean :oops: they have free range of the bedroom 24/7 and then get the odd half an hour here and there, usually while I'm cleaning, on the landing. After half an hour they get bored out there anyway :roll: and try to get into other rooms or end up coming back into their room and sleeping.

We have indoor dogs, so it isn't possible for them to freerange. At the moment they have a 6ftx6ft pen with a 6ftx2.5ft "home base." We are hoping to build/buy in the next 6-12 months and the plan is to have a room specifically for the bunnies - lino floor, totally bunny proof etc. The OH suggested a fully insulated shed with aircon and heating as another option. I'm not keen on putting them outdoors, but I guess one of the factors will be whichever option is most cost effective.

Mine go out in the garden during the day and are out with me in the living room in the evening. I only shut them away when I am asleep, wish I didn't have to but Minky has gone into destructo mode and I can't trust them on their own.

Teddi has 24 hours run of the house, although so far he has only found 4 rooms downstairs.
He is confined to his own room overnight, purely for his own safety in case he gets spooked, panics & hurts himself

Herbie & Inca have a bedroom. It is a large room. They are out in that room all the time, then they come in the other rooms for a visit when i am at home.

Smudge and Toffee have my dining room, it is rabbit proofed. They have a big dog crate that has a comfy bed, food, water, we have just taken the door off it so it cant close at night time and lock them out. My cats are out at night time so i know my rabbits are safe, and during the day if the cats are out the dining room door gets opened and they have free roam. My dog is okay with them allways has been so i dont worry about them. During the summer i am going to make my garden safe so they can have the run of outside to. Even when they do get free roam with the dining room door open for some reason they will not pass were the carpet ends, lol. xx

I voted it depends, as they have free range of their own room 24/7, but when we are home they can also go on the landing, in the bathroom and the spare bedroom :wave:

JaJa has his own wee room that is bunny proofed but due to having a toddler, he only gets free range of the house when jack is napping in the afternoon and then out again from 7pm-11pm ish.

Slowley introducing JaJa to jack so that eventually we can permantly leave JaJas door open so that he can free range 24/7 :D

My buns get 8 hours a day each out of their create/cage. If they bond it would mean they could have 16 hours a day each but at the moment as i only have one bunny proof area they have to share the free range time

My buns have the dining room 24/7... it's a BIG room.

Lily's started weeing everywhere and spraying though (due in for hey spay on 17th!) so now they're in a dog crate and attached pen, as we're sick of walking in puddles of wee :shock: Already have to mop their pen and wash fleeces and stuff everyday... feel really sorry for Lewis, his lovely white fur is going yellow :cry:

When litter tray issues have been resolved, they'll have access to the whole house when I'm home :)

Back