• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay prices (going up)

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
I usually get my hay from work,The guy rang who delivers it today and its going to be £8 a bale:shock::shock: He said because its been dry with not much rain they didnt get a very good crop (amount wise ) Anyone else heard this?

Yep :cry: I own horses and the price has nearly doubled for the large round bales from £25 to £45 in less than a year :shock: :cry:

Its terrible, we have 3 fields this year for hay, normally we only have one and it gives us around 300 of the normal size bales. This year we might only get 400 from the 3 fields, the grass hasn't grown, its poor quality and short and just a fraction of the amount we usually manage. The £8 I would say is if you catch it early, I see it going to ridiculous prices as winter comes and supplies start to run low.

Yep apparently the grazing fields are dire and the cattle aren't able to graze outdoors so being kept in and being fed hay increasing demand - also there is a shortage as it's not growing as well - in my usual sceptical way I'm suspicious though, why on earth aren't they putting in irrigation systems to allow for lack of rain? This country beggars belief :roll: I buy bagged meadow hay from Devon and it's now averaging £20 a bale.

Back