• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cost of 2 buns?

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I have just about convinced my OH to let me get Milo a friend but he is worried about costs. Can anyone tell me how much they spend per month on:

Pellets
Greens
Hay
Litter

I know how much my vet charges for vaccinations so I can easily work that out.

I have my eye on 2 lovely buns on Rabbit Rehome but not sure which one would be best for Milo. Is it important to get a bun that is close in age to Milo (he was born August 2010)? Close in size?

Last edited:
I have just about convinved my OH to let me get Milo a friend but he is worried about costs. Can anyone tell me how much they spend per month on:

Pellets
Greens
Hay
Litter

I have my eye on 2 lovely buns on Rabbit Rehome but not sure which one would be best for Milo. Is it important to get a bun that is close in age to Milo (he was born August 2010)? Close in size?

cost of Milo x 2 lol :wave:

I havent noticed the cost got up too much really, i have been very lucky and both are very well bunnies!

The only thing i seem to notice more if the hay.

Heres somthing that will make you want too..just heard a big bang and mylo and capri were flopped out cudding each other :love:

I haven't notice a price change really, less if anything as I'm more aware of what I should/shouldn't get. what is wasted and what is used.

Hay intake is the same as blossom (generally) finishes off what Thumper never did.
Litter stays the same as I use puppy pads under old used (uneaten) hay.
they don't get much pellets anyway so nothing really changed there.

Just jabs like you mentioned really :)

I havent noticed the cost got up too much really, i have been very lucky and both are very well bunnies!

The only thing i seem to notice more if the hay.

Heres somthing that will make you want too..just heard a big bang and mylo and capri were flopped out cudding each other :love:

:love::love:

I haven't notice a price change really, less if anything as I'm more aware of what I should/shouldn't get. what is wasted and what is used.

Hay intake is the same as blossom (generally) finishes off what Thumper never did.
Litter stays the same as I use puppy pads under old used (uneaten) hay.
they don't get much pellets anyway so nothing really changed there.

Just jabs like you mentioned really :)

I worked out my lot cost approx £8 per bun per month inc vacs

Large bale of hay £5 lasts 2 weeks for 6 buns 2 bags of greens a week £1 Redigrass £11 per bale once every 2 months. Newspapers are free as is water. Treats can cost a bit though :D

The thing that made me want another was seeing them cuddled up on here and it is lovely seeing Mylo and Capri like this. Before getting Capri I kept thinking of things that might go against getting another one but i realised that having one extra bun doesnt take up any more of my time than having one did. In fact i dont need to feel guilty if i stay away from home for longer because Mylo now has a friend and a bigger cage!

I have never regretted getting another one:love:

I am looking at our finances and have just added up all I spend in a year on Smudge including vacs/food and hay and it works out at about £20 per month.

I have just about convinced my OH to let me get Milo a friend but he is worried about costs. Can anyone tell me how much they spend per month on:

Pellets
Greens
Hay
Litter

Pellets- About £6.50
Greens-About £24.00
Hay About £70.00
Litter £57.00

Total = £157.50 :shock:

I am looking at our finances and have just added up all I spend in a year on Smudge including vacs/food and hay and it works out at about £20 per month.

that sounds a lot to me :S

Vacs cost approx £120 per year for both my buns so that works out as £10 a month
Pellets cost around 75p per month as I use a tiny amount
Hay varies on supplier, I'd guess about £60 a year?
etc etc etc

£20 sounds about right now after working it out :lol::lol::lol: My bad :D

I have 11 buns and it works out at about £2800 a year which is with overestimating on some things and adding a few higher none routine vet bills. Obviously it will vary from person to person depending on what they feed, how much etc but i do think it doesn't automatically double with two buns as they share a lot of things, like litter and bedding hay. this is just the basics, not treats/ toys/ housing. All in all I have probably spent about £5000 on top on those various things! I think for a normal month, with normal outgoings, they cost about £15-20 a month.

For four...

Hay - £6.75
Pellets - £3.99
Greens - free in spring and summer months, £1 a day in winter so £30
Newspapers - free

So £10-£40 a month for four.

Apart from vet bills and other 'Ginger' related items, i haven't noticed any increase in costs at all apart from the vaccinations.

I buy the same amount of stuff for 2 buns that i buy for 1, they share all the toys, they both eat the same food, so whilst it doesn't last quite so long, i dont notice any additional costs.

Thanks everyone :wave: Now to continue on my quest to convince the OH to let me get a second bunny. I have put it on my birthday list that I emailed to him and my mum yesterday. I think she is going to get me the bunny :)

Back