• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad bunny owner U/D Lola has a BIG new area :)

shelley

Mama Doe
seeing everyones wonderful set up's on other threads has mad me realise im not doing my best by my buns :cry:

Buster and Lola were surposed to be free ranging house buns with a create for a 'base' to go to for their litter tray and food but the fact that they wont bond has meant that they are both locked away for half a day in small cages. I didnt have enough space for 2 creates originally and because i thought they would bond i just bought 1 create and borrowed a pen off of my mum to bond them in. Lola is living in a horrible ferplast which was kindly given to me by a friend but its too small for her and whilst i frequantly swap each bun so they both get to free range and dont spend too much time cooped up it i know i need to start looking at their long term future.

Its possible that i could get another create and rabbit proof my bedroom so they could have a room each but i dont know what would happen if she was be too loud at night or the OH says he doesnt want her in there (it has just been decorated by my OH so i can understand after all the hard work he's put into it if he didnt want them in there) or i could scrap the create and just get her a bed and free range her in the bedroom but problem with that is she is very difficult to litter train and i dont want pee all over the cream carpets (that really will get me into trouble with OH) i could put a create in the living room instead but im really reluctant to do this as i have a young toddler so its really not a great idea and i think it would frighten/stress her out to be round him all the time. Lastly i could continue with them the way they are and wait for a rescue to try and bond them for me. If the dont bond then i dont know what i will do :( let one of the go would be the kinder option as much as i wouldnt want to. Please give me some idea's RU!

Last edited:
Aww hun you are not a bad bunny owner! Things sometimes just dont go to plan do they? :(
I would say dont give up on the bonding, where abouts are you, maybe someone could help you do the bonding at home?

Aww hun you are not a bad bunny owner! Things sometimes just dont go to plan do they? :(
I would say dont give up on the bonding, where abouts are you, maybe someone could help you do the bonding at home?

Thanks, Im still hoping they will bond, ive spoken to The Duchess as she isnt too far from me and she is going to have a go at bonding them when she is avaliable but im worried that i shouldnt keep Lola in the cage that she's in any longer. She was only sposed to be in it for a few days to get her used to her surroundings and she's ended up in it for 3months now it really isnt suitable for a piggie let alone a bun (my friend had ginea pigs in it)

Are you able to build her a semi bigger one using NIC grids?
I am not experienced when it comes to bunny bonding apart from bonding our two but if you wanted a hand at home I would be happy to come to you if you are not too far from me?

I probably could but the problem is i dont know where to put her :? The best place is the kitchen as its already bunny proof but thats where Buster lives and they have a tendancy to bite each other through the bars so it will either have to be in the bedroom or living room, both of which are not ideal but are better than her current cage. Can i build any shaped cage with NIC Cubes? It will have to be a funny shape to fit in the bedroom

EDT: Im not too far from Surrey depending what part your in :)

Sometimes our buns dont mind putting up with"not the best set up"as in time circumstances can change,but they will still be with their beloved"mummy".If one of your buns goes to a rescue they maybe in an equally small environment for months & not given the love & attention you would give.My first frenchie didn't have the biggest of cage & only came out of it when we were at home,but two years after she came to live with us we moved to a four bedroomed house & we gave her her own bedroom where she free ranged for 2 years,then we moved to our present house where she had her own lounge/shower room where she free ranged,again,24/7 until she died.What I'm trying to say is,things may not be ideal at the mo,but who knows whats round the corner.If you can afford to keep them,love them & give them as much freetime as you can(even though its not as much as you would like)then please keep them.You are not a bad mother & at the end of the day,I'm sure they would rather have the circumstances they have than be unloved at the bottom of a garden.You're doing just fine.:D

Sometimes our buns dont mind putting up with"not the best set up"as in time circumstances can change,but they will still be with their beloved"mummy".If one of your buns goes to a rescue they maybe in an equally small environment for months & not given the love & attention you would give.My first frenchie didn't have the biggest of cage & only came out of it when we were at home,but two years after she came to live with us we moved to a four bedroomed house & we gave her her own bedroom where she free ranged for 2 years,then we moved to our present house where she had her own lounge/shower room where she free ranged,again,24/7 until she died.What I'm trying to say is,things may not be ideal at the mo,but who knows whats round the corner.If you can afford to keep them,love them & give them as much freetime as you can(even though its not as much as you would like)then please keep them.You are not a bad mother & at the end of the day,I'm sure they would rather have the circumstances they have than be unloved at the bottom of a garden.You're doing just fine.:D

Thank you for your reply :)

I love them both very much and im aware they dont have the best set up so ive give them extra cuddles and they are out as much as possible. On wednesdays they both get the whole day out as no one is in. I would have one of them out in the living room but i just cant do it for long whilst my son is up as he's only little and i would hate for him to drop something on one of them or fall over and land on them so i cant. They have everything else they could possibly wish for, just not a large cage. Busters is big enough for him, its more Lola as she has the small cage. Its very unlikely i would get rid of one of them, i just feel bad as i think they are lonely as single buns

Shelley I have sent you a PM.

WillowHoly is right, at the end of the day LOVE is all they need! As long as they are being looked after in the fact that they are getting the food they need and attention then you are doing great!
As WillowHolly said living temperaraly in a small cage is still a better life than some bunnies get at the bottom of the garden in a small hutch!

WillowHoly is right, at the end of the day LOVE is all they need! As long as they are being looked after in the fact that they are getting the food they need and attention then you are doing great!
As WillowHolly said living temperaraly in a small cage is still a better life than some bunnies get at the bottom of the garden in a small hutch!

Yeh your both right. I think its difficult becuase everyone on here has such amazing setups, some times i feel a bit under pressure to have the same. When i read about the 'reccommended space' and stuff it makes me feel like im one of the baddies because my set up doesnt conform :oops:

Will read your pm now

No suggestions other than what has already been advised, but just wanted to say that you are NOT a bad bunny mum. You love them, you care and you are trying to improve their situation, they are lucky bunnies :love:

Im betting they will bond eventually. If the duchess cant do it noone can!

Good luck :wave:

No suggestions other than what has already been advised, but just wanted to say that you are NOT a bad bunny mum. You love them, you care and you are trying to improve their situation, they are lucky bunnies :love:

Im betting they will bond eventually. If the duchess cant do it noone can!

Good luck :wave:

Thank you :) Ive heard lots of good things about Helen, she should start up a fan club :lol:

Your inbox is full :lol:

How is Lola doing? :wave:

Im pleased to says she's doing great :) She has lost so much weight in the last 3 months. Before she hated being out of the cage, i think it was a bit over whelming for her but now she has slimmed down she races round the living room and loves to binky. She's much more confindent with people now, she doesnt run away from me all the time and she will ask for nose rubs which i never thought she would do. She hates being put back in her cage now where as before you couldnt get her out! I just wish she would bond with Buster, she got bitten alot by Buster and its made me to worried to put them back together. She's a fantastic house rabbit though, she doesnt chew anything, she doesnt wee of the carpets, she doesnt trip you over :lol: I love her to peices and im so glad i got her out of p@h. Why she spent 4 months there i'll never know, shes a fab rabbit!

Last edited:
Back