• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would be a/the reason for an emergency spay/neuter?

Cancer, pyometra (womb infection), pregnancy especially early stages or if the bun has only just been "caught" by a buck, so that a pregnancy can be halted before it actually develops. There are already so many bunnies without homes and not enough resource to rescue all those which need it that sometimes, emergency spaying in pregnancy is considered to be the lesser of the evils - although as you can imagine there's no one universal view as to whether it is the 'right' thing to do or not in that circumstance.

One of the reasons that spaying is advised early on is because there is a high likelihood of a rabbit needing an emergency spay when the rabbit is much older and already unwell.

Molly had a pyometra and was incredibly ill. She had an emergency ovarian hysterectomy and fortunately got through it but I nearly lost her:( Cost me £550 but it was so worth it to have her happy and healthy again.

Having a bun routinely spayed is much better for the bun - and much cheaper!!!

eli was attacked by another rabbit when he was for sale in a pet shop and it virtually ripped his testicles off.. the shop assistant was told to take him out and 'brick him' before i stepped in. :evil:

my vet emergency netured him there and then.

eli was attacked by another rabbit when he was for sale in a pet shop and it virtually ripped his testicles off.. the shop assistant was told to take him out and 'brick him' before i stepped in. :evil:

my vet emergency netured him there and then.

:evil::evil: :evil: :cry: Is he ok now? Did he make full recovery soon after?

:evil::evil: :evil: :cry: Is he ok now? Did he make full recovery soon after?

he made a surprisingly speedy recovery considering the vet was worried about infection as he was found hours after it happened.

he lived a happy life with me as a house bun and we got a snuggle mate (dorothy) to keep him company.
he died in my arms 4 years later after he came down with a gut illness which we fought but couldn't beat.

he was the most affectionate loving bun i ever had, he used to climb on the sofa with me every night and nestle into my neck for cuddles.

my soul bun. :love:

pic of dorothy with eli.
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa398/elis-mum/dotneli.jpg

To add to Alison's comprehensive list, Precious one of the Lymington bunnies had an emergency spay as she was in with a buck when she was removed but she went past a full term and didn't deliver so the spay was to save her life. All of the babies had already died in her womb and she would have been very ill as they weren't being reabsorbed into her body - they were rotting in the womb.

he made a surprisingly speedy recovery considering the vet was worried about infection as he was found hours after it happened.

he lived a happy life with me as a house bun and we got a snuggle mate (dorothy) to keep him company.
he died in my arms 4 years later after he came down with a gut illness which we fought but couldn't beat.

he was the most affectionate loving bun i ever had, he used to climb on the sofa with me every night and nestle into my neck for cuddles.

my soul bun. :love:

pic of dorothy with eli.
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa398/elis-mum/dotneli.jpg

That is a very cute pic! :love: Which one is Eli? :love:

Back