• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Out of curiosity ....

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
There doesnt seem to be many giant rabbits in rescues, why do you think this is?

My local P@H no longer sell giants, the last one was there for months, I think the price put impulse buyers off - £80. I wish they didnt sell the other buns so cheaply, maybe that would encourage people to think twice!

I have wondered this too. The garden centre near me got some giants in, they were their for months, and kept being reduced and reduced :(

Possibly because they're still a bit of a novelty, people can sell them rather than give them up for free.

That's cynical me talking.:(

Also, life expectancy I think too.

I do agree with initial cost of those in a pet shop, but they can be less from a breeder. I reckon if you want to take a giant, you have to think it all through.

At our p@h they have a giant house bunny :( Been there 2 years now.. If he's still there next year then me and my boyfriend are going to get him :( Poor thing :( I think if they took the time to litter train him it would be easier to find a home (there is a litter tray but the poo and wee are everywhere and he looks generally bored and sad :() He was reduced from £80 to £70.. I'd get him right now but I'm not allowed anymore and me and James have to move out first :shock: In some ways I hope he's still there so I can have him but I wish he would find a perfect home :(
I heard he was a rescue but he's for sale :( In the adoption bit there is a 13yr old white bunny! Gorgeous, but it's very sad to see him in there :( And next to him a 12 months old girlie. I wish they had bigger spaces :( *grumble*

I think it's a combination of things
- They don't have their "giant" appeal when they're young (sale age)
- They don't have that tiny cute appeal like other baby bunnies in the shop
- They cost a huge amount in pet shops so prevents many impulse buys
- They are more expensive to keep
- People know they can't stick them in a tiny hutch.
- Many bunnies are bought as childrens pets so people go for something they think a child can handle/pick up.
- They are highly sought after by bunny lovers so get snapped up quickly from rescues
- Relatively short life spans means they're more likely to find a home for life.

Well before we got our 2 Giants the things that put us off where.......

- Not much information on Giant Breeds (thats any good):roll:
- how do you house such a Giant bunny?
- OMG they must eat loads :O
- Look at the size they grow (when on Google the Giant Continental pictures look more like beasts than rabbits)
- It's going to cost a fortune on medicines
- We had to buy two at the same time for bonding issue ( before I did research and realised we could have bonded with any bun)
- We simply can not afford it!!

After 6 mths of debating it was actually hubby who talked me into it :lol: I'm so glad he did I love my Giants :love:

Back