• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When do bunnies start to slow down?

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Gypsy is 7. She is a lionhead cross, medium bunny ( around 2.8kg )
Just lately I've noticed that she seems a bit " different," it's not something I can put my finger on, she just seems slightly clumsier and very slightly less robust, does this make sense :? She is still eating, pooping, happy and all the other good things bunnies should be, but I'm not sure if she is slowing down :cry:

Storm is a big French lop, he is 6 and is just as lazy as ever :lol: the only exception is food time or if he thinks there is any possibility of a treat. I'm not sure how I will notice if Storm slows down.

Have any of you noticed any changes in your bunnies as they get older? Am I just being a bit paranoid? :?

Sunshine is 7.5 or 8.5. He hasn't changed much. In fact due to his new diet, that I started about 4 months ago, he has lost over half a kilo and is like a young man again.

My Skeeter, bless him, had his "old" days, but then the next day he was like a young rabbit. He would run around like crazy and binky nonstop. He really didn't slow down until close to his death.

oooooh which diet are you giving him?

I have had Sunshine 4 and a half years. For over 4 years he was on unlimited muesli. :shock: Far too much carrots, apple and broccoli and all the greens he could eat. Hay but not everyday. :oops:

His new diet is limited SS pellets. I have some excel to use up too. A bale of hay he has access to all the time. Green Oat hay, excel herbage mix, loads of fresh parsley, one carrot and one piece of celery between 2. A small amount of greens and the occasional pieces of peeled and cored apple.

Also fenugreek crunchies, when I have them 3 to 4 a day each. Also have readigrass. Run out of that for about 6 weeks. Thought I had 2 packs. Today I received herbal garden and a parsley bell thing from the Hays Experts.

I stick it all on the credit card and worry about what I bought later. :lol:

mine get ss pellets, regular and mature bunny, lots of dried herbs, fresh herbs, fresh grass, dandelion, spring greens ( twice a week) carrots or apple ( occasionally) carrot tops and lots of hay ( oxbow, alfalfa king Timothy hay and oat hay plus a new one i found with leaves in it )

The hay experts are FAB :D

Flora and Parsnip turned 8 in May and they are just starting to shows signs of age. They laze around a lot during the day - much more than they used to, but they still have a run round the garden every day too. Both appear to have some stiffness in their joints, which is to be expected but anyone just looking at them as complete outsiders wouldn't have a clue as to their age. Their outward appearance just doesn't look 'old'.

mine get ss pellets, regular and mature bunny, lots of dried herbs, fresh herbs, fresh grass, dandelion, spring greens ( twice a week) carrots or apple ( occasionally) carrot tops and lots of hay ( oxbow, alfalfa king Timothy hay and oat hay plus a new one i found with leaves in it )

The hay experts are FAB :D

:lol: sounds like Sunshines diet anyway. He can be a really lazy so and so. Today is under the bed day. Only runs out when I rustle the crunchie bag.

I don't know how old Dylan is but he wasn't young when I adopted him and that was a good few years ago now. He went grey about three years ago. I noticed him slow down towards the end of last year. A routine check-up before his myxi jab highlighted he had arthritis and he is now on daily metacam.

He recently became quite sedentary again and, after a consultation with my vet, I have increased his metacam dose. He is now much more active - as I found when I allowed him to free range last week and couldn't catch him:) He is also cleaning himself better now - he was beginning to get a dirty bottom and I was terrified of fly-strike.

How can you tell is a bun has the early signs of arthritis? they are quite good at hiding things :? I'm wondering if Gypsy has it, she just seems a bit more " fragile," and less keen to stand on her hind legs. :?

I noticed that excell mature bunny food has glucoseamine added, to help their joints. I assume it's the veggie version :? I wonder if this will help?

My vet picked up on Dylan's arthritis during his health check before his six monthly myxi jab. I had noticed Dylan was less active but put it down to his age. The vet pointed out that Dylan's legs were thinner. He was also starting to have a dirty bottom.

The metacam has really helped Dylan and he is now more active and rarely has a dirty bottom.

Back