• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pros and con's of having buns vaccinated

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
I have never ever had a bun vaccinated since getting my first bun when I was about 5, never had one be ill or die from any diseae

but am looking into gettin my lot done over a period of time, because it's 'the done thing' on here

but reccently on here heard that some of the jabs can make their buns ill!

So was wondering want are the pros and cons of giving them the jabs

The only con is some buns can get a reaction, but if you get a jab other than cylap it's unlikely.

Pros are that your rabbits are covered, and even if they get myxi they can survive.

Pros-Protects against mixi and vhd.
Cons-Can have adverse reaction ( but most will risk this as the two above diseases are so horrendous and there is virtually no chance of recovery if an unvaccinated bun contacts either.

If bunny has an underlying health condition it can bring it out in them. BUT that is sometimes a good thing as it makes you aware that there is an underlying health problem that can then be dealt with.

Pros - protected from VHD and myxo (they can still contract it, but are likely to survive it if vaccinated, whereas unvaccinated bunnies have an almost 100% likelihood of death)

Cons - one particularly brand of VHD jabs (cylap) can cause adverse reactions in up to 50% of cases. Try asking vets if they have anivac, this has a very low percentage (just the same as you getting a jab and the percentage chance of you suffering a reaction).

Plus you get a free health check at the same time, as they're legally obliged to check the bun is healthy before injecting. :wave:

You really should vaccinate if possible as myxi is very high in our area, my vet has already seen numerous cases.

VHD is also a priority as you have multiple bunnies and it can spread between them easily. VHD is always fatal so you could potentially lose them all at once. :cry:

There are three VHD vacines. Most vets use cylap but if I was you I'd ask if they can order anivac or lapinject as cylap has been known to cause lots of nasty side effects. You could ask them to order Lapinject and see if they will give you a discount if you have multiple buns done as it comes in 5 dose bottles and is cheaper than cylap.

As long as your buns are healthy (which your vet should check beforehand) they should be fine.

I believe excessive vaccinations in humans and animals can affect the immune system. However, my choice would always be to vaccinate - it's just not worth the risk not to.

cons - chance of a reaction but this is the same with any animal including humans i believe! personally i have not had any and i think its fairly low risk.

Pros - they have a very good chance of surviving myxi or VHD, whereas without vacs its a death sentence. they can get it from insects btw so no bunny is safe. you should DEF get them vaccinated. Top bunny vet FHB who i saw recently was quite worried that Barney was 2 months overdue for Myxy (yes i do think she is amazing since i saw her t'other week!!) She did him straight away. if they did get sick.. sorry to preempt your thoughts.... but you would regret not vaccinating then...

I am in favour of vaccinating, but only if your rabbit is in perfect health.
I have read lots of threads on here about rabbits who have suffered though myxomatosis, some surviving and other not. But I also read Georgie's thread where one of her rabbits got myxi. All she got was a lump on her nose which eventually fell off. She had been vaccinated every six months for years. And it saved her.

But Grimlock is not vaccinated and I'm not sure he ever will be again. He has snuffles and a lot of other health issues. He has started to get to a point where his body, with the help of antibiotics, is getting in control of the infections. I feel that if I vaccinate him I am putting a strain on his immune system which could cause him to become very ill again. I know he is now at risk of catching myxi. I don't know what I would do if he did, but I don't think I could let him suffer with it. But then I wouldn't want him to suffer in order not to get it.

But if they're healthy then I agree with vaccinating. It might make them under the weather for a couple of days but overall I think it's worth it.

Pro's - A much bigger chance of survival should they catch the disease

Con's - Some rabbits have bad reactions, one of the vaccines (can't remember which one) is obtained from lab rabbits I believe, they can still die although a lot less likely, can cause rabbits with existing conditions to become poorly shortly after the vaccine, and depending on you're vet they could be quite expensive

Don't feel you need to give them if you don't want to :wave:

I only give Myxi once a year as I hate vaccinations and would rather not put them on my animals. It's also what all 3 of the nearest vets recommend for this area.

I only give Myxi once a year as I hate vaccinations and would rather not put them on my animals. It's also what all 3 of the nearest vets recommend for this area.

thats the thing! im not sure they need them! i mean some people sayd they do and some don't! im thinking with having a soon to be trio and duo that obvious diseases will spread between them ahh im soo consfussed!

thats the thing! im not sure they need them! i mean some people sayd they do and some don't! im thinking with having a soon to be trio and duo that obvious diseases will spread between them ahh im soo consfussed!

If they aren't vaccinated and one of them contracts myxi, they will indeed all get it - and die.

Personally, I would always vaccinate my rabbits, but it is up to each person to make their own decision.

I've also been debating this recently. I would advice vaccination where possible, including myself but I am now starting to think long term. I will have four rabbits and although I can affort all their jabs every 6 months inc VHD I may now just go for Myxo one a year at March time. For me it's about saving money but also being practical. If I have the spare money to do so then I'll probably get any other jabs + updates that then need but my goal for now I think is just Myxo once a year as a definate doer!

which is worse/more common

myxi or VHD

Both diseases are fatal in an unvaccinated animal.

Myxi - this often first appears as lumps on the face and genitalia. It affects the rabbits respiratory system and leads to a painful lingering but certain death. Vaccinated rabbits can get a mild form of myxi and have a good chance of recovery. Vaccination is done six monthly.

VHD - this stands for viral haemorrhagic disease. Often the first thing you will see will be a dead rabbit in its hutch. You may see bleeding from the nose and mouth. Basically, the rabbit bleeds to death internally. Vaccination is once a year, preferably with Anivac. Cylap should be avoided as it can have unpleasant side effects.

Both of these diseases are controllable. Also, if your animal is insured, it is a condition of your policy that you have them vaccinated and keep them up-to-date.

Both diseases are fatal in an unvaccinated animal.

Myxi - this often first appears as lumps on the face and genitalia. It affects the rabbits respiratory system and leads to a painful lingering but certain death. Vaccinated rabbits can get a mild form of myxi and have a good chance of recovery. Vaccination is done six monthly.

VHD - this stands for viral haemorrhagic disease. Often the first thing you will see will be a dead rabbit in its hutch. You may see bleeding from the nose and mouth. Basically, the rabbit bleeds to death internally. Vaccination is once a year, preferably with Anivac. Cylap should be avoided as it can have unpleasant side effects.

Both of these diseases are controllable. Also, if your animal is insured, it is a condition of your policy that you have them vaccinated and keep them up-to-date.

thanks fo this :)

should I get a single bunny vaccinated?

or just have my hopefully trio to be and pair done!

if you're going to get one vaccinated then you may as well get them all done. Only one rabbit is safe if only that one is vaccinated.

okay! have priced it up!! its £544.25 a year :shock::shock::shock:

excuse me whilst i pick my jaw up off the floor aha

Back