• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pie got in with Obie :(

Pie

Warren Veteran
Me and mum have just come back from shopping for a few hours and mum didn't cover Pie's pen up properly. We think she has jumped out of her pen and into Obie's :(
Both seem okish - Pie is eating, drinking and running about no problems. Obie looks shell shocked but is eating. There is fur everywhere. They have obviously had quite a scuffle.
Both have been checked over, no blood, eyes look bright, I can see no wounds just lots of tufts of fur pulled.

Now, what do I do!? I have tried calling the rescue for advice but no answer. Do I still keep them separated or do I try to put them together again?
My mum is really chilled out about it and not bothered but I am slightly frantic!
Any advice please!!?

Both buns are neutered? :)

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it...if both buns have no surfaces wounds even then a bit of chasing and fur pulling is to be expected when buns first meet :)

Are you in a position to be able to do bonding 'properly'? If no I would keep them separate...I don't think that this isolated incident will have a detrimental effect on either bun :)

Both buns are neutered? :)

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it...if both buns have no surfaces wounds even then a bit of chasing and fur pulling is to be expected when buns first meet :)

Are you in a position to be able to do bonding 'properly'? If no I would keep them separate...I don't think that this isolated incident will have a detrimental effect on either bun :)

Sorry to give background to those of you who don't know...

Both are neutered. I have had Obie since february. They are in pens next to each other and we have been trying to bond them for over 3 months - they used to fly for each other now it's just down to Pie giving Obie bites on the face out of defensiveness. They went p to the rescue we got Obie from last month - they spent 2 weeks there having "intensive bonding" sessions - came back still not bonded.
They were in the seperate pens with blankets covering them (as Pie is known to jump out) and me and mum went out for a few hours and Pie got in with him without us there as mum didnt attach the blankets properly. Who knows how long she's been in there for - my guess would be a good couple of hours.
They have met through bars and 'face-to-face' numerous times and fighting usually occurs when actually being 'bonded'.

Just don't know what to do now with them? Should I have left her in there with him!? :? :(

Sorry to give background to those of you who don't know...

Both are neutered. I have had Obie since february. They are in pens next to each other and we have been trying to bond them for over 3 months - they used to fly for each other now it's just down to Pie giving Obie bites on the face out of defensiveness. They went p to the rescue we got Obie from last month - they spent 2 weeks there having "intensive bonding" sessions - came back still not bonded.
They were in the seperate pens with blankets covering them (as Pie is known to jump out) and me and mum went out for a few hours and Pie got in with him without us there as mum didnt attach the blankets properly. Who knows how long she's been in there for - my guess would be a good couple of hours.

Just don't know what to do now with them? Should I have left her in there with him!? :? :(

Too late to be thinking of that now, but i think you did the right thing, they may well have been calm then, but without knowing you have time to perform a supervised bond, i'd do as you have.

Sounds like Pie does want a friend. I am the last person for bonding advice. I just did it 3 times with Sunshine, and all was smooth.

They seem ok now. Maybe leave them for awhile.

Yea, both seem calm now but what if they keep fighting! I can't have them going for each other for months on end.
Why do everybody else's bonds go so smoothly :roll: *cries*

Gray - Yes I know too late, but I saw her in there and (naturally) panicked and just scooped her out of there.
He was sitting behind her and she was in front, both sitting down but looking quite tense.

Yea, both seem calm now but what if they keep fighting! I can't have them going for each other for months on end.

Gray - Yes I know too late, but I saw her in there and (naturally) panicked and just scooped her out of there.
He was sitting behind her and she was in front, both sitting down but looking quite tense.

And thats why i think you did the right thing Pie :)

Ooo eck...sorry didn't realise you had been trying to bond them for that long...damn loss of internet connection :lol:

I really don't know what to suggest! If they've been to a rescue for 2 weeks for bonding and that was unsucessful...do you keep trying or admit defeat! I don't know what I would do :?

Ooo eck...sorry didn't realise you had been trying to bond them for that long...damn loss of internet connection :lol:

I really don't know what to suggest! If they've been to a rescue for 2 weeks for bonding and that was unsucessful...do you keep trying or admit defeat! I don't know what I would do :?

I know! :roll: I met a guy at the rescue who had his buns for 3 months together everyday before they bonded and they were (apparently) 'going in for the kill' with each other, and then suddenly they were fine. :?
He absolutely adores her though and will follow her and put his head down towards her for grooming.
She also gets depressed if we move her away from him into another room for a few days. It's just her, she is so defensive. Its like she doesnt understand what he wants so she bites him before he can do it to her so-to-speak.

The important thing is both buns are fine, you have time to decide the next move. :)

Time for some tea and toast.

The important thing is both buns are fine, you have time to decide the next move. :)

Time for some tea and toast.

Already got the tea out - thats the first thing I did! :lol:
I honestly can't believe there is no injuries or blood though. The amount of fur everywhere! :shock:

I know! :roll: I met a guy at the rescue who had his buns for 3 months together everyday before they bonded and they were (apparently) 'going in for the kill' with each other, and then suddenly they were fine. :?
He absolutely adores her though and will follow her and put his head down towards her for grooming.
She also gets depressed if we move her away from him into another room for a few days. It's just her, she is so defensive. Its like she doesnt understand what he wants so she bites him before he can do it to her so-to-speak.

Same here...I had a trio together for 4 months...all was bliss until this hot weather started kicking in and all 3 of them started fighting one min but then would be perfectly fine the next :? I decided to rehome lil Phoebe as the girls were getting wounds from the fights and re-bonding didn't work :(

Sonuds like they could bond...if it really wasn't meant to be then surely they would be chasing etc each time they meet and trying to nip at each other through the bars :?

How long are they together for before Pie tries to nip him? what happens when she does go to nip him?...do you split them or just move her to one side?...a thousand questions for you there :lol:

Pie will only nip him when he comes towards her or turns his back and hops away from her. Usually after a couple of minutes.
No when she nips him we leave them and just move her away from him or slide them together so they are next to each other - too close to do anything.

Weeeeell, I think from what you've said before I would keep them seperate and stick with the original plan of the 'long-bonding' but think of this incident as postive, ie they seemed 'ok' with each other when you found them, no injuries, just pulled fur? :wave:

It sounds like they have been fur pulling not fighting if there is no blood or wounds :wave:

If you are going to try and bond them I would keep them as far apart as possible, a) to stop this kind of thing happening again and b) because I find that bonds work better if the buns have been kept totally separate and can't see or smell each other until bonding time, especially if they have fought in the past

I think you did the right thing though chick :wave: hope you're ok fighting bunnies is scary x

I'm glad both are ok :)

Are you sure both have good eyesight? Especially Obie, who I think is a REW? this sounds very similar to Candyfloss's bond with Dusk which took about three months from start to finish and included fighting.

Really, really don't think that, because they definitely don't. It's very easy to think you have the only disasterous bond, but I promise you, it happens pretty commonly. You're not alone, for sure.

Last edited:
Weeeeell, I think from what you've said before I would keep them seperate and stick with the original plan of the 'long-bonding' but think of this incident as postive, ie they seemed 'ok' with each other when you found them, no injuries, just pulled fur? :wave:

Just looked over Obie for the 5th time - He has a small scratch with some dried blood on, on his hip :( Doesn't look deep, think it may have been where she went to nip and caught him. We will try them together (on purpose) tomorrow and see how they are.
But it's odd, she is sitting next to him through the bars... She hasn't done that before. Very odd.

I'm glad both are ok :)

Are you sure both have good eyesight? Especially Obie, who I think is a REW? this sounds very similar to Candyfloss's bond with Dusk which took about three months from start to finish and included fighting.

Really, really don't think that, because they definitely don't. It's very easy to think you have the only disasterous bond, but I promise you, it happens pretty commonly. You're not alone, for sure.

Oberon is a grey (Opal) Mini Rex. His eyesight and hearing is very good :)
I'm glad I'm not alone but they are so similar and thought it would be more easier than this :(

Nicola - We tried separating Pie and putting her in our bedroom for a few days and she went almost into depression and got really lonely without him near :?
When they were irst put together they wanted to kill each other - you could see it and that was a horrible and scary sight. Now you can tell it's just Pie being almost scared of what Obie will do to her. It's no longer aggression.
ARGH, so confused. There are so many different ways of bonding.

I think its probably the same situation as I am in that its Pie's house and she believes he is tresspassing. Once his smell is about hopefully they will bond but unfortunately its just going to take time.

I'm going to be bonding Kassy and Stu who I got from Jane next week.

Back