• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peter not great after VHD

steveg

Warren Scout
Took Peter for his VHD this morning, two weeks after his myxi, from which he showd no ill effects at all. However, he's not right.

He's sat in his hutch since just after ten, Hasn't eaten grass or hay or went into his run. I've managed to get some pellets down him and a bit of apple but he's just sitting there.

He also got some eye drops as the vet said he had crusty bits around his eyes, probably caused by dust, so he's got that going on as well.

I'm sure it's quite normal for him to be a bit off colour after his vaccination but am just wondering how long I let him be before I should do something.

I haven't taken him inside 'cos I thought that if he wasn't feeling right then he would want to be on his own.

Any suggestions very welcome.

hello, I would give the vet a ring to be honest, I know he has eaten something, but he can quite quickly go down hill!

I hope he is alright

Do you know which VHD jab he had? If it was Cylap, this is a VERY common reaction - he may well be having a couple of 'off' days now and may have a reaction at the injection site along with a possible limp..

Keep an eye on him and get to a vet asap if he worsens.

Well done for picking up on it so quickly!

Do you know which manufacture of vaccine he had? It's sadly quite common for bunnies to be lethargic after the Cylap one.

I would whisk him off to a vet as soon as poss if he isn't eating or showing interest in food.

Spenser was off colour and had a local reaction on the back of his neck after his first VHD injection. His vet uses cylap, and she assured me the symptoms were normal, but also said I could bring him in if he got worse or I remianed concerned. He was fine after 24 hours, and did not completely stop eating. He had his booster yestedray, and has been absolutely fine. His vet uses the controversial cylap, but my friend's rabbit was EXTREMELY lethargis after his first injection of lapinject, which a lot of people on here prefer.

Sending vibes that Peter is soon back to his usual self.

as already said, somebuns are pretty quiet after a jab but you need to make sure he's eating etc:)
(eric's 'tired' for a couple of days afterwards)

Thank you all so much for the replies.

I took him inside so I could keep a close eye on him and, guess what, he's come to life! He's still not eating much but is running around and has done loads of poos and a big wee down the side of the Wi!

Blair went over to the field to get some dandelions and he's eaten the lot.

Hopefully he'll start eating his hay soon.

Thank you all again. I'll be sure to call the vet if he goes downhill again. :wave:

He's now just eaten some hay. I'll give him an hour or two before I go at him with the eye drops. Thanks again.

Thank you all so much for the replies.

I took him inside so I could keep a close eye on him and, guess what, he's come to life! He's still not eating much but is running around and has done loads of poos and a big wee down the side of the Wi!

Blair went over to the field to get some dandelions and he's eaten the lot.

Hopefully he'll start eating his hay soon.

Thank you all again. I'll be sure to call the vet if he goes downhill again. :wave:

He's now just eaten some hay. I'll give him an hour or two before I go at him with the eye drops. Thanks again.

Sounds like a fairly typical VHD reaction :( Poor Peter.

Hopefully he'll get better in a couple of days :)

Away to vet at 1020. Peter is pretty lifeless this morning. Not eating and poos are small and hard, about one third of normal size. Sitting in his box and not moving, I don't think he's eaten or poo'd much all night.

He rallied when he came inside last night but not great now.

I feel so bad, we've only had him two weeks, but it must be to do with his vaccination........

Away to vet at 1020. Peter is pretty lifeless this morning. Not eating and poos are small and hard, about one third of normal size. Sitting in his box and not moving, I don't think he's eaten or poo'd much all night.

He rallied when he came inside last night but not great now.

I feel so bad, we've only had him two weeks, but it must be to do with his vaccination........

Sounds much too much like the Cylap jab has really disagreed with him, if thats what he had.

Hope the vet can really help him out.

Ask for pain relief and gut stimulants as a minimum i would think :wave:

aww poor peter :( I agree with the others, it sound like a cylap reaction, i hope he's feeling better soon. Have you got a vaccination certificate for him? It should say what type of vaccine he had? If it was cylap, I recommend asking your vet if they can get lapinject or anivac for next years vaccination because it is uncommon for bunnies to get side effects from them.

Good luck with Peter, well done on noticing he was not right so soon.

Thank you all again for your help.

Well, vet gave him a gut stimulant injection and two sachets of critical care. She exaimined him and checked his teeth etc and said he wasn't tense so wasn't in pain. He was having a good sniff about!

She thinks he's just sleepy and slightly 'off' after jab. He ate some critical care off my hand and also some pellets off my hand but doesn't seem keen on feeding himself.

He's currently sitting in the wicker basket in his run, eating it!

If not right by morning to go back again.

I'm going to start another thread re rabbit insurance. The receptionist suggested it. She said she spent a fortune on her rabbit and was probably aware that in two weeks I've already spent three figures. :shock:

Sounds like he is perking up if the wicker basket is under attack. I've got Petplan insurance for Spenser, which has covered most of the three figure bills I've twice had for gut stasis episodes. I think it costs me about £12 a month.

Back