• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abnormal amount of caecotrophs??

Hi i recently purchased a 7 week old bunny she is very cute and adorable she has been eating reguarly although recently i think she seems a bit let intrested in her pellets we give her a medium size bowl full and it is never fully empty when we refill it in the morning is that a good amount to feed her or not? today poppy seems to have a lot of caecotrophs i check on her every half an hour and each time there are more i wanted to check wether this is normal or not as i want her to settle and be comfortable in her new home

Some people will tell you its ok to feed a growing bun unlimited pellets but given the amount of caecotrophs I'd think about gradually cutting down what you are feeding to encourage her to eat more hay.

Keep an eye on it though that its not diareah as baby buns in particular can suffer from problems such as coccidiosis and go downhill very quickly.

i have been feeding her hay daily she doesnt eat all the pellets that i give her in the first place , im not sure if im overreacting or not :p what is the usual amount of caecotrophs?

i have been feeding her hay daily she doesnt eat all the pellets that i give her in the first place , im not sure if im overreacting or not :p what is the usual amount of caecotrophs?

You shouldnt ever really see any, as a rabbit is meant to eat them all.

I would follow Amy's recommendations.

Cut down on pellets to encourage hay eating.

As an idea, mine eat their pellets in ten seconds flat and would happily eat a whole bag if I let them. If your bunny isn't eating them all anyway I'd say you are probably feeding too many. If she is too full up from the pellets she wont eat the amount of hay she needs for a healthy gut.

Hello :wave:

I agree with the other two. I would very gradually cut down on the pellets and refresh the hay two or three times a day. Also look at the quality of the hay, if it's bad quality they are less likely to eat it.

hiya:wave:

is she 7 weeks old now or did you buy her when she was 7 weeks? i ask because she may not have been weaned from her mum for very long and baby buns can have pretty sensitive tums.

which pellets are you giving her and does she have any other foods yet? (apart from hay):)

my Gracie has just started producing to many at 10 weeks so will be cutting down her pellets! she was on double the ammont of pellets since she was 4 weeks when we had to remove her from mum because mum bit some of her ear off!

at the mo she gets 2 egg cups in the morning and 1 egg cup in the evening, I'm going to cut it to 1 egg cup in the morning and 1 at night and slowly reduce it untill shes down to 1 and a half which is what my other buns get!

and obviously with unlimited hay and a small amont of greens x

Back