• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which brush for grooming?

I have 2 english rabbits who seem to be moulting forever...which brushes do people think are best to get the old coat out (seeing fur coming through in poo so want to give them a helping hand rather than getting blocked up with fur!)

I used to use a slicker brush I got from The Hay Experts but it didn't seem to get much fur out. I then got a furminator meant for cats, which gets a lot more out but by the way Sergeant and Pepper react to it you'd think it was the Terminator! Now they run away as soon as they see it. The least scary option for them it seems is just stroking them with wet hands, which someone on here suggested a while back. I do still use the furminator when I'm doing their nails and they can't run away though!

I find a pet comb is the best way but I have a furminator brush coming so going to try that.

i saw a similar thread to this the other day and everyone was recommending a Furminator - dont have one myself, i prefer to just use a basic plastic comb

For short haired rabbits it's usually enough to dampen your hands and stroke the rabbit all over to remove lose hairs...the hairs stick to your hands and you can just roll it into a ball and throw it away.

For short haired rabbits it's usually enough to dampen your hands and stroke the rabbit all over to remove lose hairs...the hairs stick to your hands and you can just roll it into a ball and throw it away.

that sounds like a good idea. i do this with a grooming mitt, also have a soft purple brush frmo PAH which is just because they like to be groomed with it :)

Thanks every one, was thinking slicker, but will have a look at the furminator...never heard of one so glad I asked! The 'normal' brush I have doesn't do anything.

Back