• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Falkirk people EMAIL sent, opinions please? Response recieved!!

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
My local farm supply shop (Russels Country Supplies) just between Larbert and Camelon) are selling 3ft rabbit hutches (£95) and a 3ft rabbit apex run (also £95).

I am aware of two people from here, myself being the third, who buy hay and supplies from this store, and have complained. I went today after Debbie (CollieLover) made me aware of this.

Like Debbie and Nicole, i complained to the owner. Her response was, it is not illegal, which is true, as in Scotland, as yet, we do not have the minimum hutch size law for rabbits. Her response was pretty much its legal and she is in business to make money.

She has agreed to change the sign to say its a "Guinea Pig" hutch. While i told her, it is still incredibly small for a guinea pig, it is less of a false advertisement than selling as a rabbit hutch. She said she can get bigger hutches made, i advised she advertises this too.

She has given me her email address in order to give her some information and facts, this is where i need your help.

1. Could people from FALKIRK who use Russells as a hay supplier boycott until something is done, and if possible, forward a complaint by email (pm me for the email address).

2. Could someone who has the links to the English laws about hutch requirements please give me the links.

3. Could people who have rescued rabbits from SMALL hutches (not neglected just small hutched rabbits) of which the rabbits have health issues (such as Osteoperosis and other growth defects caused by the small hutch) send me pictures of the rabbits?

So i can approach this with facts and guilt trips to try and stop this.

I am also campaining against Falkirk Market as they sell a 2ft "rabbit hutch" for £50. I will be approaching them with fact sheets and leaflets which i will obtain from RWAF.

Thank you for reading and for any help which can be given.

Last edited:
I was going to ask anyway where else is it possible to buy good hay from in Falkirk as the stuff from Russells has been pretty rotten for the last wee while?

I'll send them an email too, myself and my lad noticed the hutches outside as well (and the price tag attached to them).

I was going to ask anyway where else is it possible to buy good hay from in Falkirk as the stuff from Russells has been pretty rotten for the last wee while?

I'll send them an email too, myself and my lad noticed the hutches outside as well (and the price tag attached to them).

I'm working on a new supplier, i know Debbie uses a place in Alloa, however, there is a place down the Bellsdyke road somewhere (proper farm) which i am going to look into too. I will let you know.

The email i have sent. Any further information gained from this thread will be used with this as further evidence until things change :wave:

To Whom It May Concern

After a chat at your store this morning (7/6/11) I expressed my concern about the 3ft "rabbit hutch" and 3ft apex "rabbit run" you had for sale. As I expressed, this is false advertisement, as such a small hutch is not suitable for a rabbit. It is recommended that rabbits should be able to make at least three decent sized hops in a hutch. Even the smallest breed of rabbit would not be able to do so in the hutches you have for sale.

You agreed to change the advertising to state these were only suitable for guinea pigs. While i believe they are still small for guinea pigs, this is a far better advertisement as a guinea pig could live an "acceptable" life in this size of a hutch. I am grateful you have taken my opinion on board, and I look forward to coming back and seeing the sign has been changed.

You mentioned you can have bigger hutches made. This is fantastic. I would like to draw your attention to an article from The Rabbit Welfare Association regarding retailers. It states you can register yourself on their Retailer Charter stating you sell large hutches, which will mean you can get noticed by many rabbit lovers from Central Scotland via the website. The Rabbit Welfare Association is known by rabbit welfare enthusiasts and I feel this is a great way to get yourself noticed by more Central Region rabbit lovers, meaning you can generate business from ethical hutches, hay, bedding and feed.
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/retailer.htm

I would also like to draw your attention to the information on the RWAF website about the welfare issues of rabbits being kept in small living quarters. This link contains further information about hutches and downloadable flyers giving facts about rabbit housing requirements, using the "A Hutch Is Not Enough" campaign.
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

While the laws for minimum hutch size have not yet been passed in Scotland, and what you are doing is not illegal, it is unethical. Facts produced from the PDSA on the Animal Wellbeing Report are on the following link, I am sure you will be astonished to read that 150,000 rabbits live in hutches that are too small.
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Ideally rabbits should have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch. However, if consumers are not aware of this, rabbit welfare will never improve. We need retailers on board and supporting the campaign for better rabbit welfare to make these changes. You can help improve living conditions for rabbits and you can increase profit margins for yourself by selling bigger more expensive hutches, and not losing business of long standing customers such as myself and others, who you informed me, have made similar complaints as myself.

I look forward to your response on this issue and thank you for your time.

Regards

Sharon.

I don't think there are any laws in England either.

There is a legislation stating the needs of an animal should be met, i cant find the document just now, but it states as an owner you have a responsibility to give it a suitable home, which means of the right size etc. Hopefully someone will have a copy of it :D.

There is a legislation stating the needs of an animal should be met, i cant find the document just now, but it states as an owner you have a responsibility to give it a suitable home, which means of the right size etc. Hopefully someone will have a copy of it :D.

Is it the RSPC five freedoms you're maybe thinking of?

1. Freedom from hunger and thirst

2. Freedom from discomfort

3. Freedom from pain, injury and disease

4. Freedom to express normal behaviour

5. Freedom from fear and distress

A rabbit can't really express much behaviour at all in a hutch that size.

When I have some spare time I'm so going to buy some of the silly hutches out there and take some pics of a pair of my normal sized buns in them before returning them with an email of complaint including pics to head office/store manager so they can see how awful 2 and 3 ft hutches are.

When I have some spare time I'm so going to buy some of the silly hutches out there and take some pics of a pair of my normal sized buns in them before returning them with an email of complaint including pics to head office/store manager so they can see how awful 2 and 3 ft hutches are.

Thats a good idea :D

Or we can all meet up and Take my 2 big girls and show them how daft there hutches are ,Also invite the falkirk herald with us to the store.

Crunchie I use Pleanmill farm at the moment for hay there bales are brill and its only £3.50 a bale pm me and I will give you there phone number

Last edited:
I recieved a response

Hello Sharon

Thank you for pointing out the shortcommings of the 'rabbit hutches' we have on display. As was pointed out at the time, these are for display purposes only and that any orders are 'made to measure' this means that we can advise customers of the required sizes at time of purchase. We take your comments on board and have already re-labled the hutches on display as guinea pig hutches. Meantime, we are seeking advice from the SSPCA as to their opinion.

William Russell

Next project, send a mystery shopper in to enquire about hutches :D see what they are advised for rabbits etc :p

Shazza how did you get on with this? I passed the place yesterday and they didn't have any of the stupid wee hutches out on display any more.

Back