• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Doe on heat - are these normal signs?

carolineclair

Warren Scout
In another thread I have worked out that my unspeyed 4 month old bunny has reached sexual maturity but there are a few other things ive noticed different in the past few days and just want to run them by someone to check them out...

1) Her anatomy seems slightly pinker and more swollen than usual, i figure this is a sign of being in season as it were but can anyone confirm?

2) Shes very clean down there but there seems to be a stale smell around her bottom, she doesnt send much time in her hutch so its not because she is sat in urine or anything but its quite a stale smell...any ideas??

3) She has no eye or nose gunk but has liitle sneezes every so often. I figure this is unrelated to the being in season but when you add the above together should i be worried or am i just being panicky? I cant really get her to a vet tomorrow and i think im being paranoid but i just want to make sure.

Thank you

Rabbits dont 'come into season', they are induced ovulators.

Your Doe may now have reached puberty, but the symptoms you mention are not normal and merit a Vet check. The Doe may have a Urinary Tract Infection. Or her scent glands may be impacted/infected.

Continued sneezing is also abnormal, even with no accompanying nasal discharge. So another good reason to get her to a Vet, today preferably.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
My Matilda had/has similar symptoms her's was caused by giving birth to a hugeee baby!

she is abit incontinant so does have a sore, dirty and smelly bits, I wash her backend! say 2 or 3 times a week to make sure she dosn't get infected!

shes also got a nasty case of spring fever and the smell is worse when shes buzzing about :roll:

slightly pink 'bits' is not necessarily something to worry about IN ITSELF (assuming you dont mean angry and red...) but the other things you mention are not so yes get her checked out.

Runny nose would be DEF be nothing to do with maturity. As jacks janes says they dont really have seasons but she may have reached the right age but runny nose is something else - could be various things.

They can sometimes have smelly glands in that area but i wouldnt describe it as stale.. and this comes from the scent glands themselves. can you tell where the smell is coming from? it sounds to me like she might have an infection of some kind.

FYI - to me , the most obvious sign that they are 'ready' is when they start pulling fur out to make a nest.

Back