• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure...but I have seen a huge change in Poppys temperament since she has gone into her shed from the hutch...she is much more trusting now (still cant handle her...but now I dont really need to:D)

I guess if the dogcrate has a shelf its more room.
Or if it's just as a temp.

My two would be mental if I locked them in anything smaller than 6ft, they run about loads in there and binky. Don't think they could do it in anything smaller

I asked a similar question once and it was because during the day they would have even more space than outdoor buns (who are generally in 6x2 hutch and 6x4 run most of the time I think)

Indoor rabbits also get on your schedule so they would probably sleep when you sleep

I'm not sure many people would say it is acceptable to shut a bun in a 4th crate any more than a 4th hutch.:)

Personally I don't think there is any difference and I wouldn't shut mine in a dog crate at night.

that's the thing, there are a fair few members on here who keep their rabbits in dog crates overnight.
not saying it's wrong, and admittedly, i am doing it myself for a few weeks until i can bond my 2.

but i don't understand why people who close bunnies in dog crates aren't jumped on, but those who put them in 4 foot hutches for the night are

Generally though a four foot hutch will be only two foot wide whereas dog crates a bit squarer and are more like to be three or four foot wide. But still, I would never do it with mine.

that's the thing, there are a fair few members on here who keep their rabbits in dog crates overnight.
not saying it's wrong, and admittedly, i am doing it myself for a few weeks until i can bond my 2.

but i don't understand why people who close bunnies in dog crates aren't jumped on, but those who put them in 4 foot hutches for the night are

Basically thats what I said: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277160

Lots of different opinions on it... general consesus seems to be that it isn't ideal but sometimes necessary. :? does seem odd that people get jumped on for closing a rabbit in a small hutch at night but not in a dog crate.

Some people get incredibly hung up on hutch/living space measurements. To the point of ridiculous in some threads.

I'll mix it up :wave:

My two are locked in a 48" (4ft, just less than) dog crate with 2 levels and a ramp every night between midnight and 6:30am.

I do it for their safety and the protection of my (rented) home.

Feel free to jump, i won't bite :) (much...)

Some people get incredibly hung up on hutch/living space measurements. To the point of ridiculous in some threads.

We just don't like bunnies in boxes:wave:

I don't think a 4ft anything is ok unless very temporary - eg bun is ill/bonding etc

That's why a lot of rescues are big on PERMANENT space. A lot have people get animals with the full intention of buns being "free range when I'm in" but in reality, this results in people losing interest/having a week of being out a lot/getting tired of cleaning up after mucky buns etc etc

4ft crates are 3ft wide so 12 sq ft of space the same as a 6ft x 2ft hutch.

Plus with the extra height you can add another level.

4ft crates are 3ft wide so 12 sq ft of space the same as a 6ft x 2ft hutch.

Plus with the extra height you can add another level.

That's just what I was thinking.
It's generally acceptable to shut a rabbit in 12sq ft overnight, whether that be a 4x3 dog crate, or a 6x2 hutch.

Personally I wouldn't like to shut my rabbits in either overnight on a regular basis.

surley there must be heaps of memebers on ru that have to keep their buns locked in dog crates/hutches overnight which i personally think is ok.

It might be safer for the buns and if they are free ranging all day then i would think that its not doing any harm what so ever. Especially when you compare it too people who keep rabbits in tiny cages and only take them out a few times a week.

Alot of people keep there dogs/puppys in dog crates overnight, that is what the cages are built for :)

I think the assumption is that the indoor bunny will be let to free range the house when the owner gets up and only put back in the crate when the owner goes to bed- hence all the info on bunnyproofing wires.

However in reality this does not always happen.

The RSPCA recommend a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch because this is deemed to be the minimum space a rabbit can take 3 hops in, lie stretched out in and stand erect to wash it's ears. These functions are considered essential to the rabbit's wellbeing.

So although a 4ftt x 3ft dogcrate is the same area(12sq ft) - I'm not sure that it affords the same ability to take 3 hops in?

The RSPCA also recommend a 6ft x 6ft minimum run for the rabbit to be able to stretch its legs and exercise-again a minimum requirement for the rabbit's well-being.

I think perhaps it's easier to ignore letting out a rabbit in a hutch at the bottom of the garden than one in your living room in a dog crate which is why those with dog crate's are not jumped on. (not that they should be!)

sue:wave:

Back