• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marissa

Banned
I have sheds attached to 6x4 runs
I breed, i have over 100 hundred rabbits
If i can get advice why not to i would happily stop, but i need to know why
I dont vaccinate
I dont neuter either

:wave:

Can we see a picture of your set ups please? Prove your un-trollness!

Over 33,000 unwanted rabbits in rescues, myxi and VHD rife in pet rabbits which are not vaccinated, and bad breeding between unneutered rabbits equals tons of rabbits with genetic health problems, not to mention removing the risk of hormone aggression and reproductive-related cancers if rabbits are neutered.

The number of rabbits already looking for homes is a good reason not to breed.

unless you know several generations back of your buns you dont know what problems you could be breeding into your buns eg teeth sore hocks heart problems.

Females rabbits generally develop uterine cancer around the age of 5 if left unspayed

Rabbits are social animals and rae happier spayed and living together

Can we see a picture of your set ups please? Prove your un-trollness!

Over 33,000 unwanted rabbits in rescues, myxi and VHD rife in pet rabbits which are not vaccinated, and bad breeding between unneutered rabbits equals tons of rabbits with genetic health problems, not to mention removing the risk of hormone aggression and reproductive-related cancers if rabbits are neutered.

Whats a troll?
Do all new members on rabbits united have to post picturrs to prove they are real?

I have sheds attached to 6x4 runs
I breed, i have over 100 hundred rabbits
If i can get advice why not to i would happily stop, but i need to know why
I dont vaccinate
I dont neuter either

over 10,000 rabbits :shock:

Breeding causes an influx of rabbits, which are already the most neglected pet in the UK. As previously mentioned, there are over 33000 in rescues at the moment, and this is increasing.

I doubt breeding can give much money. I doubt a breeder would be able to provide a bunny with the care they need (the sheer scale of the 200 or so you say you have means that medical complaints could go unnoticed for a very long time, and positive human contact is minimal). You say the buns have access to runs which is good, but it depends on the size housing and what buns you have together.

They need to be vaccinated to prevent widespread deaths in the community, and really should be neutered as 80% of females will develop uterine cancer in their first 3 years. Unneutered females kept with unneutered males will have a miserable life in particular, litter after litter and an early death.

How many rabbits, and the ratio of female/male, and whether they're neutered in each shed?

Also just wondering why you breed, it surely can't make you much money so perhaps there's another reason or a combination? If it's just loving animals, you could perhaps make a bunny childrens petting farm type thing, with neutered and vaccinated bunnys providing cuddles for kids? I know parents go crazy over that kinda thing if they can't have animals of their own?

If you have the space and funds you could become a rescue (once you have a lot of knowledge)?

Hi sorry I don't have any experience of breeding, I know that I wouldn't be looking to breed a lion head and a french lop though, the sheer size difference would deter me.

I'm surprised you need to ask given your professional at breeding, some pictures of your accomodation would be interesting though, we don't very often get to see big breeder accomodation on here.

The site is primarily rescue orientated but your bound to get some tips and advice regarding caring for your rabbits, I suppose that we have rabbits as much loved pets means we might do things a bit differently:wave:

i think you should take some pictures so we can see your accomadation so we can tell you how you can imrove it. :wave:

Whats a troll?
Do all new members on rabbits united have to post picturrs to prove they are real?

well yes, we like to see pictures of each others buns anyway, that's why the picture forum is full of much loved bunnys and set ups.

in order to stop being called a troll (as your posts do seem to wind up those of us who don't support breeding and are pro-rescue) we would need a pictorial guided tour of your set ups. as well as the reasons behind breeding, not vaccinating and not neutering, I would wager vet visits are rare as getting that many rabbits checked over costs a small fortune! Just speak to the rescues that have over 100 and DO get each and every one neutered and vaccinated.

One reason so many people are avidly against breeding is that there are so many unwanted rabbits in rescues. People will buy rabbits from you, get bored of them or realise they cant handle them then dump them on rescues. You should have a look on some rabbit rescue websites, its heart breaking :cry:

Another is that it is not a desirable life for a rabbit to be a breeding machine. To most of us on here our rabbits are our best friends and we love them dearly as individuals. With over 100 rabbits theres no way that you can give each and every one the love and care it deserves :(

I think you will find that most people on here just dont get the mind set of rabbits as commodoties, so if you want advise on breeding its probably best you go on a breeding forum unfortunately.

Reasons to neuter: to prevent pregnancies, diminish hormonal behaviour so that the rabbits can be peaceful and content) and in the case of females to avoid uterine cancer which is very common.

Reasons to vaccinate: You have over 100 rabbits. If one gets myxi or VHD, they all will :?:?

Omg never realised that!!
I have at the moment five pregnant does
I breed on a timetable
So after these 5 i should stop..

Do i have to neuter all my rabbits?

Hi Marissa,
Welcome to the forum. If you need genuine advice please tell us more and specifically what you are after in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back