• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help

Hi i have a rabbit with very sore feet he has been to the vet and the vet has told me to come back on friday now the problem i am having is that he now cant stand at all and he is weeing and messing and poor thing is sitting in it do you think that putting a nappie on him would help him or could someone give me some advise on how to stop him lying in his own mess as he is covered in his own wee and looks so unhappy he is no spring chicken and i just want my old man to be happy :cry:

Did the vet give him any treatment? Are the feet bald? What are you going back on Fri for?

Have you been given anything to treat him with between now and fri?

Sorry really new to this never done it before so just finding out what i am doing!!! The vet gave me a liquid to clean his feet with the skin is cut and looks like it has an infection in both of them but 1 is worse than the other i have to go back on friday to let him be seen again to see if its any improvement in his feet and also he needs an injection for fur mites she really didnt do much to be honest :cry:

Sorry really new to this never done it before so just finding out what i am doing!!! The vet gave me a liquid to clean his feet with the skin is cut and looks like it has an infection in both of them but 1 is worse than the other i have to go back on friday to let him be seen again to see if its any improvement in his feet and also he needs an injection for fur mites she really didnt do much to be honest :cry:

What about pain relief ?

What about investigating WHY your Rabbit is unable to clean himself ?

How old is he and what is his past medical history ?

Did the vet say they were infected? If so has he got anything for that? And as Jane said anything for pain? Were you given a receipt? It will list all the medication you were given

I think hind leg weakness and weeing on theirselves can be EC.

What treatment is he on?

All i got was this cleaning liquid she didnt charge me for it and noting about pain treatment anything at all i am cleaning them twice a day till this purple liquid has gone and letting the air get to them as i put a bandge on his feet and cotton wool to stop him putting to much pressure on the sore but i took them off to let the air now get to them! He is 5 yrs old and a bew mini lop he has never been ill the whole time i have had him i had noticed him walking on the back of his legs and thought nothing of it and then i picked him up to put him away after a run in the garden and i just saw blood all over him where he pulled the scabs off his feet and he has gone worse and worse since then that was 2 weeks ago. I went to pets at home and bought some cream and antibacterial powder to put on too i dont know if i have done right or not xx

Your Rabbit really does need pain relief.

Also, it is important to try to establish why this has happened.

Did the Vet give him a thorough examination including checking his teeth, his abdomen, his heart and lungs, observing his gait, weighing him ????

I would go back to your vets and ask why they havent prescribed and pain relief and also ask about the possibility of infection if he has open sores.

Is your bun over weight or on a rough surface? Is he using his muscles at the back end properly? Has he suffered from any muscle or weight loss recently?

Oh thank you very much for your help i am going to take him back tomorrow he is not good so not holding out much hope for my baby xx The vet didnt check him over at all they weighed him to give him an injection for his mites but that was it she didnt do much with him he didnt like her at all and he jumped off the table so i dont know if thats caused any damage REALLY THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP XXXX

Last edited:
You might find it advantageous to find a vet that is used to treating rabbits, most aren't. If you'd like recommendations feel free to start a new thread, maybe in rabbit chat so more people see it entitled something like 'vet recommendations in **** area'

Well sorry not been on this for a week as i have been too up set my old man was put to sleep he was in such a bad way they could not get a temp reading or find a vain to give hime the injection so it went into his heart but i was with him at the end and thats what i wanted him not to sufferanymore, I would just like to say a very big thank you for the advise i had and the help from my bunny friends xxxx

Back