• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bar Chewing Help !

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
Maisey is in her hutch while I am at school and I take her down to the run when I come home. She hay, pellets, chews and toys burly she won't stop chewing the bars!
What can I do to stop her ?

This is probably because she is very bored and wants to come out.

Any caged animal who is bored will bar chew.

What size is her 'hutch' - does it have an attached run?

Is she indoor or outdoor?

She will be moving house next week as I have got her a hutch and run combo thing. I can't attach a run to her current hutch as it's at the top of a triple stack. Her hutch isn't ideal as it's only 5ft but it's not a permanent hutch as she is moving in a weeks time.
Is there any toys you recommend that will keep her occupied till then ? :)

She will be moving house next week as I have got her a hutch and run combo thing. I can't attach a run to her current hutch as it's at the top of a triple stack. Her hutch isn't ideal as it's only 5ft but it's not a permanent hutch as she is moving in a weeks time.
Is there any toys you recommend that will keep her occupied till then ? :)

No, none in my honest opinion.

Graham's suggestions are to get at the route of the problem, my bunnies have loads of chew toys but prefer the hutch ramp so i have to spray it.

Graham's suggestions are to get at the route of the problem, my bunnies have loads of chew toys but prefer the hutch ramp so i have to spray it.

I don't agree with doing that, it could just cause further upset and distress to the bunny. They chew bars to get rid of the pent up energy and frustration - where do you think they will take that frustration/pent up energy out if they can't chew the bars? :(

But that is solely my opinion, i'm not saying anything aggressively or saying its 'wrong' :)

yes i agree with you but sometimes you cant do all the things for your bunnies that you want to be able to.

if they injure their mouths on the bars and you prevent this then it makes sense. i stop my bunnies chewing the ramp so it doesnt end up falling in their heads, really i should replace the ramp but havent been able to so far :)

Thanks guys :)
I have put Maisey in her run and put a carrier in their for her for shelter :), in a week and a few days my hutch will come and I will move her into it :)
but for nowshe is in her run
Thank you :)

Bramble does that when he wants to come out for a run about. I let him out for a while and then he is happy again.......until next time!

spray vinegar on them?

was just about to say that :thumb: doesnt always work.

it may be something ull have to get use to its sort of a habit now for scooter no matter what you do or how long u let him out hell continue even when hes not in the cage :roll:

Gypsy and Storm have a whole ( small) bedroom to them selves and Gypsy still rattles the bars, usually when we are trying to get our toddler to sleep :roll::lol::lol:

She usually stops if I give her a quick tickle and some fuss :D

Back