• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does this sound like a urine infection?

Emma J B

Young Bun
I've noticed over the last few days that my 9 month old neutered male bun has urine soaked fur round his tail and back legs. He also seems to be drinking excessively. He's otherwise healthy, eating well, healthy poos, active. I have given him a bath and I will ring the vets tomorrow. Just wondered if this sounds like a common urine infection, or just because he drinks and wees alot and sits in his litter tray alot, or could this be more serious? My other 5 rabbits are completey clean and dry.

:wave: I don't know if it's a sign of urine infection or something more serious don't have any experience of it, hopefully this will bump it up so someone who's experienced it will see it, it's a definate vet check I think, fingers crossed it's just him drinking more so weeing more and he likes the scent or something, does he clean himself off alright with grooming?

Thanks for reply. He doesn't seem to clean that area at all but otherwise grooms ok. I'm hoping it's a 'simple' infection easily cleared up with antibiotics.

This sounds similar to what is happening to my bun at the moment! I've have taken her to the vets numerous times about it, and all they say is that she is long haired and unfortunately I can't stop her from sitting in her own wee! Only thing I can do is keep cleaning her! She's even had extensive blood tests to make sure its not something more serious. I hope they find out what is wrong with yours and clear it up!
xox

Thank you. Went to vets this morning. Barney's been clipped round his tail and back legs so i can keep hime clean easily and he's on a course of baytril. He's also got some F10 germicidal wound spray for his skin. I have to say that even after one dose of antibiotic he seems much better already - not drinking so much or sitting on litter tray for ages! Hopefully this will sort him out, if not the next step will be x rays, blood tests etc. The vet asked me to try and get a wee sample from him! Have no idea how I will do that! If any one on here has managed to get a wee sample from their bun, I would love to know how !

Misfitfiend1989 - I really hope you get your bun sorted too, it's horrible seeing them like this. Good luck!

I'm glad your bun is improving with treatment.:)

Try pm ing one of the rescues or someone with multiple buns as it's likely they have had to get a urine sample off a bun before and will tell you the best way to do it.

sue:wave:

Back