• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

someone has told me that male lionheads...

Nope - far from it. My 2 girls have beautiful manes.

Although I think as they grow males can actually pull theirs out through grooming (and females to line a nest) but I don't think it's too common x

I saw the fliffiest lion head in the world in pets at home today,it was a 22 month old female in the rescue section,I was very very tempted :wave:

I have 4 lionheads.. 3 girls and 1 boy.. 3 have big fluffy manes and skirts, 1 has very little in the way of a mane and no skirts.... the one without is one of the girls :wave:

Well thats exactly what i though :lol:

My husbands antie visited us today, and told me that 100% JaJa was a boy because he has a mane and females dont

It's to do with whether they inherit no lionhead genes, one lionhead gene (and have single manes) or two lionhead genes (and have double manes).

Wouldn't it be nice if it was a way to identify gender. Super easy!

Beano's a female lionhead X Rex and she doesn't have a mane, Gordon is a male lionhead X nethie and he has a huge one so that must be beano's not inherited the lionhead gene??

Nope not true.
In the show world with the cobby breeds it's usually the males shown as they tend to have the broader heads, I'm sure I've heard with Lionheads it's the females though as they keep their mane better or something? But males do still have them

ETA: Just done a quick search, a few breeder sites have said males tend to loose their manes in maturity

Last edited:
Nope not true.
In the show world with the cobby breeds it's usually the males shown as they tend to have the broader heads, I'm sure I've heard with Lionheads it's the females though as they keep their mane better or something? But males do still have them

ETA: Just done a quick search, a few breeder sites have said males tend to loose their manes in maturity

I've read that females lose their manes more :lol:

Buckley's mane is less obvious now, but I think it's because we're still having to work up his pellets to the correct level, I heard they need quite a bit of protein in order to have nice manes.

But it isn't true. Both male and female lionheads have manes :)

Back