• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Painting the INSIDE of a shed

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya,

I wanna make my shed look nice inside (bare plywood is not impressing my bunnies, they have superior tastes!).

If I was to paint it with normal house wall paint and put the bunnies inside for the night to let it fully fully dry, would that be okay? The skirting board and any other exposed bits of wood are either covered, or left unpainted (the skirting boards are already a decent colour)

So basically I'd only be painting the pale bits in the pics below:

P1827_31-05-11.jpg

P182502_31-05-11.jpg

P182602_31-05-11.jpg

I would probably give it a good few days to air - we took the rodents out of our living room for 4 days when we painted - but I would think normal paint would be fine. Shouldn't be any different to having house buns.

We used to have a shed that was wallpapered inside when I was a kid and it was lovely - been making me want to insulate and decorate my shed lately! :love:

I would use an animal safe paint like cuprinol garden shades rather than house paint. 24hrs should be long enough for it to dry.

I would use an animal safe paint like cuprinol garden shades rather than house paint. 24hrs should be long enough for it to dry.

Oh true, thanks :D Forgot about the garden shades, stupid me :roll:

They don't seem to have a very 'pink' colour unfortunately but I have a few shades to pick so I'm sure I can find something nice :D

I would probably give it a good few days to air - we took the rodents out of our living room for 4 days when we painted - but I would think normal paint would be fine. Shouldn't be any different to having house buns.

We used to have a shed that was wallpapered inside when I was a kid and it was lovely - been making me want to insulate and decorate my shed lately! :love:

Oh wow wallpapered! That would be amazing, but I have neither the skills nor the patience :lol:!

I'm going to paint it and then stencil designs on, or stick some large wall stickers on :)

They don't seem to have a very 'pink' colour unfortunately but I have a few shades to pick so I'm sure I can find something nice :D

I was talking about this today, I'm going to do mine, I'm going to have my stuff ready to rock and roll first thing so it's got all day to dry out and then at night have the window off with mesh on it instead, they can get out in the aviary if they want aswell.

Shades do Jasmine and a Berry one which gives pink if mixed together I think - I saw it on another thread about Poppies shed.

Surely indoor paint would be fine, my bunny is a housebunny and our walls are all painted with normal indoor paint :D

Bunnies chew wood so you should be careful what you paint it with. If you have a bunny chewing plasterboard you have bigger problems than the paint.

Look on their website it tells you how to make pink by mixing colours :wave:

I mixed a wilkos garden (pet safe) cream (cant remeber its exact name) with a cuprinol rich berry tester. It took some mixing but went onto the wood fine. I found by the time we had painted it all, it was dry, we put a second coat on in a day and the paint was dry enough to lay the lino same day:D

If you start early enough in the day you can have it all done in one day:D Poppy slept in it that night and then I put her out in the garden the next day while I did the beading and shelving. I was shattered though when it was done! lol!

Bunnies chew wood so you should be careful what you paint it with. If you have a bunny chewing plasterboard you have bigger problems than the paint.

It's not plasterboard and they don't chew it, we've taken precautions to ensure they can't nibble any part of the wood :wave:

Look on their website it tells you how to make pink by mixing colours :wave:

I mixed a wilkos garden (pet safe) cream (cant remeber its exact name) with a cuprinol rich berry tester. It took some mixing but went onto the wood fine. I found by the time we had painted it all, it was dry, we put a second coat on in a day and the paint was dry enough to lay the lino same day:D

If you start early enough in the day you can have it all done in one day:D Poppy slept in it that night and then I put her out in the garden the next day while I did the beading and shelving. I was shattered though when it was done! lol!

Thanks for the tip both of you, will definitely come in useful!

Helen01 I don't suppose you have any pics :D!? x

Awww the inside of the playhouse looks lovely :love:...any pics of the outside? :wave: :wave: I don't remember seeing a thread for it :oops:

I too would use an animal friendly paint and would recommend Cuprinol :wave: for my buns playhouse we used pale jasmine inside...it dried really quickly and all smells were gone after 24 hours although I left it longer to put the buns in :)

The only pain was that the inside required 3 coats, which was very time consuming :shock: after 1 and 2 coats it just looked very patchy...I think it was quite time consuming because it was the shed wood (tongue and groove) so we had to paint each slat...I suppose with plywood you can get away with using a roller or you with a brush you can cover the whole area not having to worry about nooks and crannies :)

Awww the inside of the playhouse looks lovely :love:...any pics of the outside? :wave: :wave: I don't remember seeing a thread for it :oops:

I too would use an animal friendly paint and would recommend Cuprinol :wave: for my buns playhouse we used pale jasmine inside...it dried really quickly and all smells were gone after 24 hours although I left it longer to put the buns in :)

The only pain was that the inside required 3 coats, which was very time consuming :shock: after 1 and 2 coats it just looked very patchy...I think it was quite time consuming because it was the shed wood (tongue and groove) so we had to paint each slat...I suppose with plywood you can get away with using a roller or you with a brush you can cover the whole area not having to worry about nooks and crannies :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284155 Here'#s the original thread, better pics are nearer the end although they're bad too :oops: It's always too sunny or rainy to take some decent pics!

Yours looks very pretty :love: It's good to know about the few coats thing, good to bear in mind for the buns :D Don't want them sticking to the walls!

My shed is only 6 x 5, so hopefully it won't be as time consuming as yours! I'm still pondering colours at the moment :oops:!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284155 Here'#s the original thread, better pics are nearer the end although they're bad too :oops: It's always too sunny or rainy to take some decent pics!

Yours looks very pretty :love: It's good to know about the few coats thing, good to bear in mind for the buns :D Don't want them sticking to the walls!

My shed is only 6 x 5, so hopefully it won't be as time consuming as yours! I'm still pondering colours at the moment :oops:!

Oooo I did spot that thread actually...not the new pics though...looks lovely...I love the run around tunnel idea...I would like to use the tunnel set up to take my buns into a second run :) do the flower doors fit easily to the mesh of the run?

My playhouse is only 4x4 :lol:...I think the tea breaks we had every 20 mins helped greatly towards making the project time consuming :lol:

Back