• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not drinking by self - Post GA

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I can't believe this is happening again.

Biscuit went under for a dental on Friday AM.

He came home and has been bright as a button since, BUT, he's not drinking by himself, at all.

I've been monitoring closely, and watching like a hawk and he does not drink from the water bowl at all.

I've been syringing him water and he takes it and laps up large amounts, i've given ~20ml so far this morning since i've been up, but i can't keep this up.

This exact same thing happened when he had his neuter, i had to syringe him water for 3 days post GA.

I've tried lacing the water with favourite drinks, washing foods and leaving them sopping to get the extra liquids into him. Spoke to vet yesterday and they've asked me to continue as i am and call the emergency vet if anything dire happens, but it won't, im just concerned he'll become dehydrated.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening?

I'm concerned ... again :(

How long are you leaving him between syringing him the water? I feel silly saying this as I know you're a very responsible owner, but is it possible he's just not thirsty as you're giving him water? Could you leave it a little longer between syringes?

And will he eat cucumber? That's full of water.

How long are you leaving him between syringing him the water? I feel silly saying this as I know you're a very responsible owner, but is it possible he's just not thirsty as you're giving him water? Could you leave it a little longer between syringes?

And will he eat cucumber? That's full of water.

i just try randomly ever few hours. He's normally a relatively regular drinker, but he hasn't been to the water bowl at all since he's been home, as i've been here with him.

I'll try and leave it longer, but i didnt want him to get dehydrated. I can normally know he's going to drink, as he'll sit in the litter tray for ages, eat loads of hay, be dry from it, run up the stairs in the crate to the water and drink for a mnute or so. But that snot happening.

And no, he hates cucumber :lol: He runs away from it :roll:

I'll just keep keeping an eye on it, i just dont understand why it happens Post-GA.

Did they give him fluids (e.g. a drip or s/q injections) while he was at the surgery? My vet always gives a decent amount of s/q fluids throughout the day to bunnies even for routine ops. Is it therefore possible that he has been well hydrated during the surgery and consequently doesn't need so much to keep him going afterwards because of the extra he had on the day? How is he behaving, is he eating and going to the toilet normally?

Last edited:
i just try randomly ever few hours. He's normally a relatively regular drinker, but he hasn't been to the water bowl at all since he's been home, as i've been here with him.

I'll try and leave it longer, but i didnt want him to get dehydrated. I can normally know he's going to drink, as he'll sit in the litter tray for ages, eat loads of hay, be dry from it, run up the stairs in the crate to the water and drink for a mnute or so. But that snot happening.

And no, he hates cucumber :lol: He runs away from it :roll:

I'll just keep keeping an eye on it, i just dont understand why it happens Post-GA.

You said snot. :p

But seriously (sorry) I understand you don't want him to get dehydrated. It must be hard to balance giving him the water and letting him do it on his own. :? I wonder why the GA does this to him. When I took Smoo in at about half one and they decided to put her under she didn't drink until about ten in the evening. I usually leave them to it until the next morning which is when I begin to worry if I need to.

how are his wees?

i find that after sub-cut fluids, eric doesn't drink much until he's done a fair few big wees (not a big drinker though anyway).

have you tried giving him tepid water in his bowl or is he just not going to his bowl at all?

Did they give him fluids (e.g. a drip or s/q injections) while he was at the surgery? My vet always gives a decent amount of s/q fluids throughout the day to bunnies even for routine ops. Is it therefore possible that he has been well hydrated during the surgery and consequently doesn't need so much to keep him going afterwards because of the extra he had on the day? How is he behaving, is he eating and going to the toilet normally?

Thanks Santa.

Its possible he had subcut fluids, they aren't on the bill, but that doesnt mean they weren't given i guess.

His behaviour is back to 100% normal for him, eating, pooping (albeit, still slightly smaller and darker than normal, but expected).

I wasn't aware fluids were sometimes given, even for routine ops, so thats quite a possibility, but my only thing in my mind is, he'll happily drink several syringeful's when i offer it?

how are his wees?

i find that after sub-cut fluids, eric doesn't drink much until he's done a fair few big wees (not a big drinker though anyway).

have you tried giving him tepid water in his bowl or is he just not going to his bowl at all?

not tried tepid water, purely for the fact that i hadn't thought of it! :lol:

I will, if he doesn't start soon i guess its something to try?

Well, as if by magic, somebun has decided the water bowl is okay to drink from now :roll:

I have no idea why he does this!

Thankfully, he's fairly healthy, so shouldn't be a regular thing.

Thank you for those who took time to post :love:

not been able to read whole post but how about other things full of water thats arent cucumber? lettuce? i know its supposed to be bad...

tomato? fruits such as apple? how about apple juice in the water bowl instead?

EDT i am a nelly!

Back