• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frontline- Cats

rachylou

Warren Veteran
  • How long after being treated with frontline should flea dirt go?
  • How long after the application of frontline should I stop worrying that it could poison my bunnies from touching something?
  • Is frontline only dangerous to bunnies if you actually apply it to them or if they come in to direct contact with it?

Sorry I am really worried! :cry:

Tbh I'd only use something that is safe for both cats and buns, like Revolution. I think Frontline probably has unnecessary chemicals I wouldn't want to apply to my cats.

I don't really have any idea if non-direct contact would hurt your buns. Probably not.

I think Revolution is an American product.
He is not my cat but the family cat so really it is up to my parents what they choose to use, I perswaded them to stop using Frontline and to use Programme injection and now he has possibly got fleas so I think it is probably best that they continue with the Frontline.
The cat and buns never come in to contact, the cat is not allowed in the room the bunnies are in.

You can stop worrying as soon as the Frontline application on the cat has dried, which by now it most certainly has :)

Are you sure Jane?
My OCD is really attacking me and keeps saying to me things like... 'You touched the stair railing, Simba may have rubbed on it and now you have touched your top so you need to change it!' :cry:

i usually put frontline on my cats last thing at night, around midnight, then I touch my bunnies the following morning. The frontline has dried by then definitely and my bunnies have always been fine. I treat my cats every 5 weeks (as they are little flea bags) and I have never had a problem :)

i usually put frontline on my cats last thing at night, around midnight, then I touch my bunnies the following morning. The frontline has dried by then definitely and my bunnies have always been fine. I treat my cats every 5 weeks (as they are little flea bags) and I have never had a problem :)

Are your bunnies free range? Do they go where the cat has been?

Tbh I'd only use something that is safe for both cats and buns, like Revolution. I think Frontline probably has unnecessary chemicals I wouldn't want to apply to my cats.

I don't really have any idea if non-direct contact would hurt your buns. Probably not.

I think Revolution is marketed as Stronghold in the UK. It is a spot-on POM based on selamectin rather than ivermectin. Safe for both cats and rabbits.

Is is Frontline Spot on or Frontline Combo spot on as the products have a different chemical composition? ( Frontline only is Fipronil based and Combo is Fipronil plus methoprene ). Either way, both are ok when dry.:)

Well before we moved in with Muma nd Dad Mum was using Frontline Combo on Simba but I perswaded her to stop using Frontline at all and use the Programme injection and now he may have fleas!! :oops:
So Mum applied the Frontline spot on yesterday about 3pm ish.
But will probably go back to using the Combo or if I can perswade her the Stronghold when its time to treat again!

Do I need to keep worrying about touching something that Simba may have touched? Can it work like that? If I touch the sofa that Simba has been lying on and rubbing himself all over then I touch the bunnies can that be a way of poisoning them?

I have not touched Simba since yesterday! :(

Trust me, it's ok after it's dry. :D Read the final paragraph of the link below. This is a reliable source and one I use routinely at work. If you are worried that bedding or some other textiles were affected when it was wet, these can be washed, but once it's dry it's ok. The alcohol base may affect other household surfaces, but that's it. The data sheet is for Frontline, but it's similar for the Combo too. Combo does highlight the need to ensure no licking or grooming from other cats occurs before it's dry, but it's ok once it is.:D Don't let the buns groom the cat if it's been treated.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Merial_Animal_Health_Ltd/Frontline_Spot_On_Cat/-31478.html

Last edited:
Cat and bunnies dont have any contact with each other.
I am just worried in case I walk in to our room and poison the bunnies from touching something that Simba has touched!

So would I be right in saying that if anything was going to happen to my babies it would have done by now?

I just had a major panic! :shock:
In the kitchen/Lounge there was a drop of something 'wet' on the floor and immediatly my brain said it was a drop of frontline and it gt on my foot.
But realisticaly how could it have been a drop of frontline because it was applied at 3pm ish yesterday it would ahve been dry by now even if it had got on to the floor, right?

Back