• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Beaphur anti parasite spot on advice please

honeybunny11

Young Bun
Hi

Tilly had a reaction to her vhd vaccination (cylap :()- the jab area was swollen and pink and then she developed what looked like dandruff with a few red dots.

I assumed it was mites (mild infection) so gave her two pipettes on Wednesday. I can still see some marks but they appear to be healing (now forming little scabs?) and there are no more marks have developed.

Has anyone used this product who can tell me if this is normal - will it take a bit for marks to go? Or should all marks be gone by now?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the anti-mite treatment - but didn't you say you thought it was a reaction to the VHD vaccination? Which vaccination was used i.e was it Cylap which is known to give bad skin reactions, and this would cause scabbing. was the scabbing at the site of injection, or elsewhere on the body? Did the vet look at the scabbing and prescribe the anti-mite treatment? I haven't used that treatment myself, but if the cause is not mites but the actual VHD injection, then the scabbing could take a couple of weeks to heal.

Hi we used the cylap vaccine - didn't know how bad it could be until I had a look around. :oops::( Feel bad ..

The dots are not just in one place and she never had them before the jab!:evil:

Should I wait before taking her the vets because as I said she is a very timid bun and I don't want to add any more stress if they are just a reaction and likely to go?They don't seem to be bothering her and she is still her funny self!

Feel guilty - my other two never had any reaction to their vaccines before. :(

Could you get a photo of them, and post them on here? - as I'm sure other people may have a better idea of what a Cylap reaction can look like, and whether it can be more widespread than the injection site.

My Pebbles had a bad reaction to an injection he had when he had his tumour op - but that was very localised - when the scab came off there was lots of white dandruff like skin around the site, and this took quite a while to disappear.

Thanks for your help! Not sure how to put a photo on though!:oops:

Think I will monitor her as I've noticed that she is not getting any more red marks. Fingers crossed that she will be ok!

Back