• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please on cleaning boys !!

chance

Warren Scout
Hi just been doing the rabbits grooms and nails etc. ( so windy all fur covered the garden and looks like it has been snowing ! )

Anyway the bits next to boys willy ( i think the scent glands ) always have crusty stinky stuff in ! Do people clean this and if so how or just leave ? ( vet always has said fine to leave )

Last edited:
They should be cleaning themselves. Are they neutered, I think that can make a difference. I'd be a bit concerned as to why they aren't sorting it themselves. You can also clean them yourself if your bun is willing to let you do it. Best to get one person to hold bun to their chest while another uses cotton wool buds and cooled boiling water to very gentley get it out.

thanks will do this as rabbits super easy to handle. they both keep themselves very clean , both litter trained, just their scent glands fill with crusty brown stuff !

I clean my Herbies scent glands from time to time, he has no front teeth and he is furry there, so i help him out when needed. I use a wet cotton bud, It is actually easier than you think, although a very strong smell.

It certainly does humm !! they are both lion heads , My other males don't seem to have this occur ?

Back