• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poo for approx 10 hours

MarieAnson

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

I don't wish to panic just yet, but in light of losing my last two buns and finding this forum, I am now very aware of what is right and wrong.

Since cleaning out Jaffa's litter tray mid afternoon he has yet to do any poo's.

He has done a couple of wee's and he has been out having a few binkys this evening and I have also seen him chew on a few of his excel pellets but not caught him drinking yet.

I am hoping this request for info is premature and I will awake in the morning to a normal pile of regular poos but if I don't should I be seeking medical attention for him immediately or should I keep monitoring the situation until Monday?

Thanks in advance
Marie

You should be seeking medical attention. 10 hours without pooping is an awfully long time. Bunnies digestion works on approx. 4 hour cycle i've heard. So that's 2.5 digestive cycles without poos.
Hope you get some poos soon.

I'd definitely be at least calling a decent vet. I'd probably insist on taking rabbit in to check for an obstruction too. The sooner the better with those.

Hi there

Sorry have not been back on here sooner, I have had computer problems and only just managed to get it sorted.

I got up this morning to a big pile of poos that jaffa had parted with in the night :D

It all looks relatively normal, based on what he usually produces, however I did notice two unusual long clumps on caecals. I have to admit that I have never seen him consume any of these and I do clean them out of his littler tray regularly, but never in this type of formation.
I have been trying to upload a pic to photobucket but it keeps stalling so I can't get an image on here yet.

I have reduced his pellets today and he has been eating more of his hay, so hopefully his gut will rebalance itself very soon.

He appears to be well and healthy and he did give me a keen nip when I was cleaning him out earlier as he was letting me know his pellet dish was empty and he almost dived into his dish to start tucking into the few I gave him.

Sorted, here is the image.

33jnx40.jpg
[/IMG]

glad he seems better:)

looks like he has had a bit of a gut slowdown before passing that - i hope now thats out of the way, his poos get back to normal.

keep your eye on him though as something must've caused this - may be moulting or may need a vet check to rule out tooth problems:)

I had that same situation with Blossom and Thumper today! They got their extra run space yesterday evening and since then through to day they hadn't passed poo, either of them. I decided to give pellets to try move their gut which worked as they livened up but no poos. They refused to eat their usual hay intake so I decided to make a huge setup on the grass for about 5 hours to give them some free range grass time which caused huge binkies and much grass nibbling. After an hour or two the poos started flying out! Thumper also had a dig and a roll in some loose mud I had put in there too :D I was very releaved after!

There hasn't been something unsettling him has there? Mine will sometimes hold it in, mainly when outside on the grass and some rabbits have to feel comfortable and settled to poo.

He appears to have settled in well now so I do think a trip to the vets is in order just to get him checked over and I need get his jabs sorted.

He does groom alot and as he is a lionhead I am anxious that he may be injesting his fur, there is alot of fluff around so could well be moulting.

@Shuette

I can't think of anything that could have caused this. He is a house bun and has the run of the conservatory, but other than the odd child popping in to pick up a few toys he hasn't had much to disturb him.

@Shuette

I can't think of anything that could have caused this. He is a house bun and has the run of the conservatory, but other than the odd child popping in to pick up a few toys he hasn't had much to disturb him.

I thought you said the odd child pooping to pick up :shock::shock::shock:

@Shuette

That's good, it was just one of those random thoughts I get sometimes :oops:

Back