• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you consider as adequate space for bunnies?

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
I have 2 rabbits and they have 53 Square foot plus a 6x2x2 hutch ontop of their run. Soon they'll be sharing it with another 1 or 2 rabbits.

What do you consider adequate?

Yes

Perfectly fine for atleast 3 rabbits if not 4! :wave:

id say go for it!

you could always add a 4ft hutch for extra shelter.

Last edited:
Yes

Perfectly fine for atleast 3 rabbits if not 4! :wave:

id say go for it!

you could always add a 4ft hutch for extra shelter.

They have a 4ft two storey hutch in there for extra shelter anyway lol! Their old hutch :)

How much space do you give your rabbits?

I don't know what I would consider as adequate, I just try to give as much space as I can- which is why my two are free range house buns!

My 2 have 36 square foot at night (incl 6x2x2 hutch and 6x4 run) and 72 square foot during the day/evening (the above plus 6x6 run).

As much as possible! Especially for more than a bonded pair.

I found my 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with unattached 5ft x 5ft run adequate. Their new 7ft x 5ft run is much better so I know think that is adequate. Its personal view what is adequate.

My 3 have 94.5 square feet, it's a 7 x 5ft shed with a 8.5 x 7ft aviary run. My single currently has a 5 x 2ft hutch for night and a 7 x 5ft run but her hutch will soon be 12 x 2ft and she'll have the same size run as she has now. I think my buns have adequate space.

I always aim for the biggest possible.
When I had my girls in a 4x3 hutch over two 6x3 runs I thought that was fine, but now the trio have their shed plus run (just over 110sq ft) I would hate to put them in something smaller.

I would say absolute minimum is rescue minimum - my local RSPCA requires 48sqft for 2 rabbits, so logically that's 72sq ft for 3, and 96sq ft for 4 - although you could probably get away with a bit less per rabbit the more you have in the same housing.

I think sometimes slightly smaller housing is ok so long as the buns get some time out of their enclosure most days and occasional free range time.

They have a 4ft two storey hutch in there for extra shelter anyway lol! Their old hutch :)

How much space do you give your rabbits?

They have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch and 6 x 4ft x 2ft run. but at the moment they are just in the hutch due to their sore hocks.

They have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch and 6 x 4ft x 2ft run. but at the moment they are just in the hutch due to their sore hocks.

My mini rex rabbit, Molly has sore hocks. i bed them on thick hay in their hutch and put hay down in their run too. This has kept the sore hocks at bay for nearly 2 years. I'd recommend trying hay in your rabbits' run so that they can enjoy their exercise. :)

My mini rex rabbit, Molly has sore hocks. i bed them on thick hay in their hutch and put hay down in their run too. This has kept the sore hocks at bay for nearly 2 years. I'd recommend trying hay in your rabbits' run so that they can enjoy their exercise. :)

Ok will try. They are getting an 14ft x 8ft run in a few months. heres my design!!:
rabsarea.png

I think you have to endevour to provide accomodation that meets all their welfare needs, so if they can stretch out, binky, periscope, run, jump, dig, forage etc even if it involves 'free range/run time' then that's adequate space, the more space you can give them the better.:)

I think you have to endevour to provide accomodation that meets all their welfare needs, so if they can stretch out, binky, periscope, run, jump, dig, forage etc even if it involves 'free range/run time' then that's adequate space, the more space you can give them the better.:)

Definitely :thumb:. I definitely think that "accommodation sizes" completely depend on the situation. If the buns get free range time daily for a significant amount of time they are exercising and burning off lots of energy so smaller night time/whatever time it is they need to be shut away. If however there is no opportunity for free range then I think it is important to provide a larger enclosure for them so they have the chance to run around in there e.g. a 6x2hutch with attached 6 by 6 run would probably my absolute minimum for a pair of average buns.

Back