• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cylap Questions

Rod

New Kit
My two Netherlands Dwarfs are brothers and are sixteen months old. They had Cylap a year ago with no problems. They each had a dose yesterday and are now lethargic but awake. One has a limp; not severe, but he doesn't want to put his full weight on his left front paw.
I have been alarmed after looking up Cylap online and learning how common these reactions are. I have consulted the vet. She gave one of them an anti-inflammatory injection, but was very vague when I asked how serious this matter is, and how long it is likely to last. They are both looking at me now with their ears erect, but there is no frisking about as there usually is at this time of day. They are both eating a little and drinking whilst I am typing, so I suppose it could be worse.
Would readers advise me how long this is likely to last, based on their own experience? Is it likely to settle without any further problems?

Last edited:
My two Netherlands Dwarfs are brothers and are sixteen months old. They had Cylap a year ago with no problems. They each had a dose yesterday and are now lethargic but awake. One has a limp; not severe, but he doesn't want to put his full weight on his left front paw.
I have been alarmed after looking up Cylap online and learning how common these reactions are. I have consulted the vet. She gave one of them an anti-inflammatory injection, but was very vague when I asked how serious this matter is, and how long it is likely to last. They are both looking at me now with their ears erect, but there is no frisking about as there usually is at this time of day. They are both eating a little and drinking whilst I am typing, so I suppose it could be worse.
Would readers advise me how long this is likely to last, based on their own experience?

About 48 hours.

Do make sure that they both continue to eat and poo. Also, keep a close eye on the injection site for any skin reactions.

In future I would advise you to request the LAPINJECT VHD Vaccine or the ANIVAC one.

Here are the Data Information Sheets:

CYLAP :

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cylap/-44936.html

LAPINJECT:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Ceva_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42509.html

ANIVAC:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Animalcare_Limited/Anivac_VHD/-53400.html

I've never experienced any major side effects myself, other than a bit of lethargy, and mine haven't had Cylap for a couple of years now, but from what I've read it should only last a couple of days.

Not sure if you've come across it in your reading but there's a new vaccine out now called Anivac which has even less side effects than Lapinject and comes in one dose vials whereas Lapinject comes in five dose vials which means some vets shy away from it as it can create waste. Maybe you can work with your vet and see if they can get that in for next time.

Spenser was a bit off after cylap last year (his first vaccination) and also had a small local reaction on the back of his neck. He's due again on Monday, so I'm hoping any reaction will be mild again. He didn't have the limp. My friend's rabbit was actually VERY dopey after his first lapinject vaccination, but OK following his booster.

Thank you for your reply. I will certainly keep an eye on the injection site. I am kicking myself for not looking this up before they had their injections, but I have not had any problems before with other rabbits. I will ask for one of the other next time.

Thank you for your reply. I will certainly keep an eye on the injection site. I am kicking myself for not looking this up before they had their injections, but I have not had any problems before with other rabbits. I will ask for one of the other next time.

Don't kick yourself :) I think loads of us have let our rabbits have Cylap not realising the side effects. I know I did.

I am grateful to the people who have replied to me. I get the impression that it should settle soon. I have been distressed by this. They were both full of beans and in really good healty before their jabs.

I am grateful to the people who have replied to me. I get the impression that it should settle soon. I have been distressed by this. They were both full of beans and in really good healty before their jabs.

Spenser was fine within 24 hours. I did call the vet to make sure the symptoms were normal (he is my first rabbit so I was worried he might have something else wrong with him). He was just a bit more subdued than usual, but continued to eat/poo so we didn't need to go back to the vet. I hope your bunnies will soon be their normal selves again. I'm a bit anxious about Spenser's booster, but it's already late (original appointment had to be cancelled becuase he was ill) so I don't want to postpone it again by asking for a different brand of the vaccine.

my rabbit had a reaction to the cylap vaccine, her skin was sore, reddened, blotchy and weeping, with fur loss. Its been 4 weeks now and although theres been some improvement its not alot, my poor bunny has been off colour for a while now ! kicking myself as I am training to be a vet care assistant, although no rabbits that we have vaccinated have reported any adverse reactions. I have just been bathing it with sterile water and applying dermisol cream, seems to be gettin better ! slowly but surely :) have pictures, not sure how to add them tho :oops:

Mrs had cylap for her first ever jab..sore at puncture site.I changed vets....and now none of my 4 have cylap and no probs with lapinject.
Sorry about your boys.Hope they begin to feel better.Noserubs.xxx

my rabbit had a reaction to the cylap vaccine, her skin was sore, reddened, blotchy and weeping, with fur loss. Its been 4 weeks now and although theres been some improvement its not alot, my poor bunny has been off colour for a while now ! kicking myself as I am training to be a vet care assistant, although no rabbits that we have vaccinated have reported any adverse reactions. I have just been bathing it with sterile water and applying dermisol cream, seems to be gettin better ! slowly but surely :) have pictures, not sure how to add them tho :oops:

Scamp has a similar reaction, he was treated with metacam and antibiotics. He perked up in himself about a week in and was just about healed over at the 4 week mark. If it's weeping then antibiotics might be a good idea, the skin goes necrotic and will a bun and an open wound it's difficult to prevent infection.

Back