• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hiya

mummysboys

New Kit
Hi I'm Beki, I have 2 lionheads, 9 weeks old. One blue and one grey. I bought them a week ago and there my little boys.
Ive never been an animal fan until i bought these and now i am so over protective of them.

The reason I have joined this site is. Because I have read too much bad stuff about rabbits and I am scared my boys will die.

I really want to learn more about my boys and do the best I can.

Nice to meet you all, and thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks Beki xxx

Youve come to the right place!!!:wave:
Youll be addicted to RU in next to no time and your bunnies will be all the better for it!! Pics are neccessary!!!!xxxx

Hello and welcome :wave:

You have definatly come to the right place!

Do have a good look around the forum - places I'd recommend to a new bunny mummy in particular are :- Housing, Diet, Health

Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Your username has just reminded me that when my childhood Guinea Pig Buffy had 3 babies a short while after I got her (she must have arrived pregnant) I named one of them Mummysboy as he was always cuddled up with her!

Last edited:
My othet half wants to call them stew and dumplin but i think that is too mean.

I want to wait until there personalities come out more.

Also i have a feeling my blue one is a girl.

Will add pics soon.... need to upload some on my computer xx

hello and welcome to the forum:wave:

ask away if something is worrying you - i think we've all been worried bunny mummies at some point and this place is great for information and support:)

hello and welcome to RU - you will learn lots here and its great that you have joined and want the best for your boys - any questions ask away :D

Hi, welcome to the madhouse! :D Here are a few basic bunny health tips. Any questions, just ask:

*You need to get the buns' sex double checked by the vet. If they are a boy/girl pair they will need to be seperated at once to avoid inbred furry bundles. They can be rebonded 6 weeks after their ops.

*Whatever their sex, they will both need to be neutered if they're to continue living happily together. Their hormones will probably drive them to become terratorial and aggressive if you don't. Spaying is also the only way to avoid uterine cancer in does.

*They will need to be vaccinated against myxomatosis (twice yearly) and VHD (every year). The VHD jab should be given at least 2 weeks after the myxi one. Find a vet who uses Lapinject on Anivac (pref. Anivac) but NOT Cylap. Cylap was invented by the devil! :evil:

*Keep an eye on their claws to make sure they're not too long. It's a good idea to get a pair of small animal claw clippers now. The vet will do it for you if you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself though.

*Flystrike is a really nasty condition that is fatal to rabbits. Blow flies lay their eggs in matted on dirty hair around the rabbits bottom. When the eggs hatch the maggots eat your bunny alive. This can be avoided by using Rearguard or Flyguard. It's still a good idea to check your buns' botties every day.

*To avoid worms, use panacur preventativly.

*Tooth problems are common in rabbits, so it's vital that they have an unlimited supply of fresh hay. By grazing on hay and grass they wear their teeth down so they don't get overgrown.

*Rabbits need loads of execise in order to keep fit and happy. The hutch should be at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with an attached run. Even better than this would be a shed, By hopping and jumping around they'll keep their weight down and their hearts healthy.

*Poo! (You've no idea how much we talk about the substance on this forum!). Rabbits produce too types of poo - caecotrphs (which they should eat) and normal poos. These should be big, round, golden and crumbly, or slightly darker if they're grass kept. If they're leaving squishy poos behind, or doing small hard ones, it's most likely to be something about their diet that's to blame.

*Pellets are preferable to mixed feed, so they get a good balance and don't just pick out the best bits. Science selective is a good brand. Medium sized rabbits should get around an eggcupful a day each (or 2 until they're 6 months old). They should not have any veggies until 3 months, and these should be introduced very gradually. Fresh hay should be always available.

If a rabbit is unwell it will sit hunched up with its eyes half closed, grinding its teeth in pain. It may also keep changing position (sitting up then lying down). If a rabbit stops eating, peeing or pooping it's seriously ill and needs to see a vet the same day. This is because their gut needs to keep moving constantly. If they stop eating they go into something called stasis. IMO this is what catches most rabbit owners out - if you keep a close eye on your babies there's no need to worry. :)

Last edited:
Back