• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you groom your rabbits?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I'm worried I'm being too rough. My boyfriend looks horrified (although he nearly had a fit when they were upset after their VHD jab haha).

I had a toothed comb and comb them - if they have a matt, I comb over it repeatedly until it comes free.

What do you all think?

i gave up on brushes and combs years ago. i stroke a lot, and pull gently. all loose hair migrates from them to me.:shock:

I pull gently, Mischa had some matts starting around his bum and I got them out today by gently pulling. With Smudge I brush him over with a comb and I'm firm but not too rough. Desperately want to get a furminator brush for him.

I pull gently as well. They don't hate me for it - when I put them down, they follow me for a treat! OH just looks mortified! Didn't realise he was so compassionate...!!! :lol:

I'm worried I'm being too rough. My boyfriend looks horrified (although he nearly had a fit when they were upset after their VHD jab haha).

I had a toothed comb and comb them - if they have a matt, I comb over it repeatedly until it comes free.

What do you all think?

If you keep combing over the matt till it comes out you could be really pulling on your buns thin skin, you'd be better teasing them out with your fingers or cutting them out with scissors :)

I only really groom my males back legs (they get quite knotty) and my buns that are moulting. For the males, I run a comb through the fur, when I get to a knot I tease it out. And during moult I use a 'shedder' (like the furminator) and the plucking method. My girls are always clean and knot free, and the males are always fine on top too, I'm lucky :lol:

I use a fine comb, but I gently pluck loose clumps out first, then the combing gets the rest out. Luckily none of mine get matted, apart from Clo on his bum, but I cut the matted bits out of that :)

I use a fine comb, but I gently pluck loose clumps out first, then the combing gets the rest out. Luckily none of mine get matted, apart from Clo on his bum, but I cut the matted bits out of that :)

Most of mine rarely get matted too, my lops get some small ones round their bums but that's rare, Nutmeg occasionally gets one or two in her mane but again that's rare but poor Smudge, who hates being brushed, gets them all, bless him.

mmm - mine are Lionlops and fluffy and malting :lol:

I need to increase grooming really. If I did them once a day then it wouldn't be such an issue I suppose!

Also, I just remembered - when I check their bums / groom tummys, I cradle them like a baby.

They usually stick head into my armpit and let me get on with it.

That's not trancing them is it? I don't want to do that! They're still awake, and will twitch if I touch their feet haha!

Also, I just remembered - when I check their bums / groom tummys, I cradle them like a baby.

They usually stick head into my armpit and let me get on with it.

That's not trancing them is it? I don't want to do that! They're still awake, and will twitch if I touch their feet haha!

I've never been sure how far back they have to be to be classed as in a 'trance', I assume their head and back legs would have to be level

I tend to pull out tufty bits until they're sick of me doing it and bounce off with a stomp. Neither are fans of brushes and have about a 2 minute tolerance of such things. Fortunately they're not a long-haired type - whoever's idea it was to breed long-haired bunnies needs a slap, so impractical!

i don't actually groom either of mine with a brush or comb:oops:

i gently pull out the tufts and the rest tends to stick to me - i stoke both of them a lot! sometimes i spray my hand with water before stroking eric as his fur, although short, is really fluffy soft whereas esme is more silky soft.

Mine aren't very good with a brush. I pluck the tufts gently or use rubber gloves to stroke them - one of them loves this ;)

Back