• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homechecking?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
What needs to be checked/looked for when homechecking?

Please list any points that would be helpful.

Last edited:
The main thing to check is the housing and any areas where the rabbit will go (i.e. free-ranging in the garden or house). Is it large enough, secure from predators, free from dangers like bits of nail or screw sticking out?

Check the health and happiness of other pets at the house. If they have another rabbit, ask what it's diet consists of, whether it's vaccinated and neutered, and how much exercise time it gets out of the hutch.

You should ask whether they have a decent vet locally (and perhaps recommend one to them!), and what their holiday arrangements are regarding someone to look after the rabbit.

Most of a home check isn't actually 'checking'...it's more like an opportunity to chat with them to get an idea of their attitude towards animals.

Thankyou both and that's great Amy. I appreciate the insight.

I think i will have to ask someone with experience on here to help me with homechecking. I'm hoping there is someone who would be happy to do this as i don't drive unfortunately.

I'd love these rabbits to find a good home, which will free up more space for bunnies in need as i know there are many other rescues with full waiting lists at the moment. I don't have a waiting list as of yet, i'm just turning people away as i'm full. I will have to sort this out at some point.

Thankyou for the link blackberry :) will check this out.

I wondered about homechecking via pictures and video- webcam with modern technology if that's an option, but i think that could be exploited and i don't think as you say that would do any good for getting to know the prospective owner.

The lady sounds lovely on the email. She doesn't say she has kids, but she says she has a family which may imply this. These particular buns i'd want to ensure strict supervision around children.

She doesn't have any other pets, but has had rabbits before. I guess i'll know once the homecheck is done.

The other thing- if i suggest a min of 6x2x2 with a 6x4 attached run on a secure platform- i.e paving or wire with turf over. I can't really homecheck until the hutch/run is in place can i?

Last edited:
I'd love to help with homechecking if anyone was close to me. I wouldn't have thought you could home check unless the set up was in place :)

PM me your email address if you want and I can send you the form I'm doing for my branch of the RSPCA. :wave:
It's not quite finished. They wanted me to include a question on diet but I've been bogged down by exams.

Lara homechecked me.....They're freerange housebuns so She looked at the areas they go and their 'room' Then we ate cake and nattered about stuff :wave:

When I home check I check all the things listed. Such as accommodation, safety levels in the areas the rabbits will have access to, condition of any pets they already have, their knowledge, who looks after the rabbits if they go away, if vacs up to date if they already own a rabbit but I also go with my gut instinct. So far I have home checked for three lovely people and have been happy with each one. I ask my self would I let them look after my pets and the answer has to be yes!

Back