• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering Questions :)

Leximo

Young Bun
Hi, Buddy is getting neutered next month and I have a few questions -

1. How long should I keep him inside for after the op? He is normally an outdoor bun :wave:

2. Should I limit his space? If so, by how much? I've heard too much space can cause the wound to open up. I have a playpen that he is going to stay in after his neuter and I can easily alter the size of it if need be :)

3. Is it okay if I line the bottom of the playpen with fleece blankets (with newspaper underneath) and hay in his litter tray and hay racks?

I just want to make sure everything is perfect :oops:

Hi I would keep in in for the first night and as long as he is eating and drinking put him back outside the next day and keep an eye on is wound :wave::wave::wave::wave:

I would keep him in for at least one night and make sure hes eating fine and back to his normal self before putting him out.

Make sure that he can't hop up anywhere, but I don't think you need to limit his space no.

Yes :)

Newspaper and towels for bedding after neuter, hay in a hay rack. Wood shavings, hay, straw etc can irritate the wounds. Some use fleece I think but my vets didn't like the idea of vetbed/fleece in case fibres stuck to wounds - I used towels and shredded paper over flat newspapers and changed everything 2 or 3 times a day to keep it clean and dry.

I don't think you need to drastically restrict the area but do prevent any jumping up or use of ramps.

Keep him on the same bedding until he gets the all clear from the vets at his check up.

Don't forget to get all his favourite herbs/veg etc for tempting him to eat after.

There's a little info in the reference section which you might find helpful. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51537 :)

I would leave the hay out of the litter tray for the first day or two in case it scratches or irritates the wound, but provide plenty of hay in hay racks etc instead.

If there's anything else you're not sure of, just ask. :)

I'll be buying some hay racks soon, thank you again for the advice :D

In Buddy's litter tray I normally put a layer of newspaper, then Carefresh then hay. Should I leave out the Carefresh as well as the hay since it might get a little dusty and irritate the wound? x

Back