• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP needed asap please !!

suzanne41

New Kit
please can anyone help with a rabbit problem i have ? i took in a lovely lion head lop 5 wks ago who was no longer wanted and she's such a sweet soul,but the past 3 days she is not pooping as much as i think she should approximately 55 today so far she's very lively in herself eating lots of vegetables and hay but not excel pellets just a couple a day i have felt her tummy and feels soft also spoke to a local rabbit breeder who said just put in pellets as the vegetables have no fibre etc..i am worried about her can anyone help please.

If she is eating hay and veg I would not worry TOO much at this stage!
As long as she is eating and pooping things are moving through which means there is no blockage.
It may be advisable to have her checked by the vet next week if she still does not seem quite right obviously she would need to be seen urgently if she stops eating or pooping!

55 poops seems like a lot to me! if she is eating and pooping, then just continue to feed her what she likes - some rabbits can go for ages during the day without pooping - then make up for it in one go in the evening - I know mine do!

please can anyone help with a rabbit problem i have ? i took in a lovely lion head lop 5 wks ago who was no longer wanted and she's such a sweet soul,but the past 3 days she is not pooping as much as i think she should approximately 55 today so far she's very lively in herself eating lots of vegetables and hay but not excel pellets just a couple a day i have felt her tummy and feels soft also spoke to a local rabbit breeder who said just put in pellets as the vegetables have no fibre etc..i am worried about her can anyone help please.

How old is she and is she spayed ?

I was going to ask how old she was too. Normally they do a lot more than 55 (good on you for having the patience to count them!!) so I'd be a bit concerned but don't panic just yet if she's still eating well. :)

thanks for your replies i am grateful i was told she's 1 year old she's not spayed,i have cut her vegetables a bit and she's eaten some pellets also done about 25 poops just so i might be being over anxious do you think?she's extremely lively though infact she's a darling she hates going in her hutch as she has the run of the garden all day and she plays up every night when she has to go in her hutch ,should i be looking for anything else with he?any advice is appreciated from you people who know more than me.

I see you say that bun free ranges in the garden all day - could it be that she is pooping somewhere out there where you haven't looked?

Has she always had such access to grass? Sudden introduction of new foods, grass included, can upset the tummy. Although I am not saying 55 + poops isn't enough. Grass can make the poops darker too.

Is she supervised while she is free-ranging? I would be too worried about them eating poisonous plants or getting taken by a preditor to freerange my buns.

If you have recently taken on this rabbit I would definatly recommend a vet check with a rabbit savvy vet to check teeth etc as well as to vaccinate and advise about spaying.

Good to hear she appears happy and lively!

thanks, she is put in her hutch when i am not in i watch her very closely when she's out she has a large 2 tier hutch which i cover up at night with a hutch cover she also has a playpen with a large play tunnel i bought her,as i am watching her closely now i know where she's pooping i will monitor her closely and keep you informed thanks so much all of you.
just to clarify she's never out in the garden when i am not at home,i feel i am looking after her quite well.

Eating hay is the most important thing. As long as she's eating lots of it I don't think there's too much to worry about. She's probably eating grass and other plants in the garden too. Lots of people on the forum only give their rabbits a few pellets a day. You could always get her checked by a vet if you're unsure. :wave:

It sounds like you are looking after her very well and I am sorry if it sounded like I implied otherwise. Its just sometimes people don't realise they have foxes around and sadly they don't realise until it is too late.

Well done for taking on this rabbit and for taking the time and trouble to find RU!

Thanks i feel i am doing a good job she's eating more pellets today as i cut some of her veg back a bit,not loads of poos though but she's very lively and eating loads of hay plus dried dandelion i have just fetched her also bought 2 lots of excel hay which she's munching on i have just ordered off ebay a ready made seed tub for rabbits including loads of different things for her and i have just done a tray of grass seeds for her aswell so she should be happy . :)

Back