• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

caecal advice please

lucy24

Mama Doe
hi there- i have a bunny at just over 8 weeks and he's producing excess ceacals. i have been giving him a handful of pellets a day( gave less today) but was wondering if i should cut them out completely until they clear? any advice? his other poos are very healthy looking.

Hi. I take it you have not had your rabbit long if he is only 8 weeks old. Have you kept to the exact same diet he was having before you had him or have you made changes?

Is he eating hay? veg? treats? what brand of pellets? Grass?

Sorry for the interrogation!

hiya:)

if you could tell us a bit more about his diet?

what other things are you feeding your bun? and what kind of pellets is he having? how long has he been with you?

Hi. I take it you have not had your rabbit long if he is only 8 weeks old. Have you kept to the exact same diet he was having before you had him or have you made changes?

Is he eating hay? veg? treats? what brand of pellets? Grass?

Sorry for the interrogation!

:D i should've read this before i posted! sorry:D

well ive had him since tuesday. he's on some pellets that i was given from the lady who i got him from to help with changeover.so on a mix of allen and page and excel. he's eating loads of hay.:) no grass or veg yet. :wave:

Last edited:
right ok- what would you suggest? will his body just get used to the pellets? sorry if thats a dum idea but im clueless in this area! lol

which pellet was he on originally, any idea?

sometimes, excel pellets seem to cause excess cecals but obviously at such a young age, he needs his pellets.

A change of home is a stressful time for a rabbit. Their digestive system is very delicate so it is always a good idea to keep them on whatever diet they are used to for at least 2 weeks.

Once this time has passed you should be able to make any changes you wish to. Remember a rabbits diet should be 89-90% hay with just a very small amount of pellets (an eggcupful) and a little veg. Any new foods need to be introduced one at a time and starting with a tiny quantity. I would not introduce grass or veg until your rabbit is about 12 weeks old unless of course he has been having them while with mum.

It has been noted by some owners that Excell pellets can cause the problem you are experiencing. Science Selective and Oxbow pellets are popular alternatives. It may be that, once your rabbit has settled and the excel pellets are introduced very slowly and only to a small quantity (an eggcupful) he may be able to tollerate them.

So to sum up, for now keep bun to the exact diet he was on before he came to you and don't make any changes/additions for 2 or 3 weeks.

he was on allen and page- which he is still getting mainly at the moment. perhaps its something i'll have to monitor- i found loads a moment ago but i think thats because he found a treat on the floor yesterday and gobbled it!:roll: i only just remembered that haha

A change of home is a stressful time for a rabbit. Their digestive system is very delicate so it is always a good idea to keep them on whatever diet they are used to for at least 2 weeks.

Once this time has passed you should be able to make any changes you wish to. Remember a rabbits diet should be 89-90% hay with just a very small amount of pellets (an eggcupful) and a little veg. Any new foods need to be introduced one at a time and starting with a tiny quantity. I would not introduce grass or veg until your rabbit is about 12 weeks old unless of course he has been having them while with mum.

It has been noted by some owners that Excell pellets can cause the problem you are experiencing. Science Selective and Oxbow pellets are popular alternatives. It may be that, once your rabbit has settled and the excel pellets are introduced very slowly and only to a small quantity (an eggcupful) he may be able to tollerate them.

So to sum up, for now keep bun to the exact diet he was on before he came to you and don't make any changes/additions for 2 or 3 weeks.

thank you that makes alot of sense. will do just that!:D

How much Allen and Page are you feeding?

Oh yes, treats can have a bad effect as they often have too much sugar.

Do keep a close eye that it is excess caecals and not a runny bottom starting - the caecals look like tiny bunches of grapes and don't smell very nice.

im feeding about a handful at the moment. he acts like he's starving when he gets them!:roll: and yes they are definitely caecals!

If you have big hands :lol: that could be quite a lot for a young bun - I don't know - I only ever gave mine much less although I know some people feed young buns ad lib pellets. Mine always acted like they were starving when the pellets arrived, they'd climb up my young son to get them off him :lol: They are still the same but have grown well on mostly hay, they are going on 3 now.

Personally, I would be happy to reduce the pellet intake to settle the caecal problem. He won't come to any harm if he has plenty of hay and water always available.

Definatley leave off the Excel for now though.

Do you mind me asking why you are changing from Allen and Page to Excel?
IMO I would be tempted to keep him on the A&P as the fibre content is much higher than Excel plus A&P is certified vegetarian which also eliminates any added worry that they could be ingesting any meat products which they can not digest, unlike Excel.

If you have a horse feed suppliers near you, and you probably have in Royal Berkshire! you could see if they stock Allen and Page horse feeds which is popular, if they do they can probably order it in for you should you want to stick with it.

Back