• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying/neturing

cazzat1979

Warren Scout
Does anybody know why vets do it at diffrent ages,for excample the vet ive been to for Minnies vacs do it at 6months and i think its just under 90 quid,pdsa said they do it at 6months or 3 months if a larger rabbit and i think there charge is 40 somthing and i also rang a place called Celia Hammonds which has been around ever since i can remember and they said 45 and from 14 weeks,just wondered why it varies so much.

caroline xx

Does anybody know why vets do it at diffrent ages,for excample the vet ive been to for Minnies vacs do it at 6months and i think its just under 90 quid,pdsa said they do it at 6months or 3 months if a larger rabbit and i think there charge is 40 somthing and i also rang a place called Celia Hammonds which has been around ever since i can remember and they said 45 and from 14 weeks,just wondered why it varies so much.

caroline xx

Are you sure? Thats a bit odd as usually tthe larger rabbits are left a little bit later than a small - medium sized rabbit as they're reproductive organs develop later on. So most vets prefer to wait an extra month or so than theey would normally.

My vet told me the smaller bunnies have greater anastetic risk which may be why they leave small bunnies a bit longer, to ensure they are as big as possible. Some vets will spay as soon as they reach seually maturity and are over 1kg which is around 12/14 weeks for boys and 16/18 weeks for girls I think. Other vets just enforce a 6 month rule. I tink the varying price depends on the overheads of the vet, how much they charge for the vets time and how much profit they want to make. I think most vets include a post op check but some charge extra and most seem to charge extra for stuff like rescue remedy food and painkillers, maybe the more expensive ones include this? I know when I rang around middlesbrough I was quoted prices from £43 as the cheapest to £86 as the most expensive.

£40'odd is cheap for a spay! Any vets I've been to is about the £90. I know rescues will get a cheaper deal if they have a good thing going with their vets.

6 months should be a good time for Minnie x

My old vets (terrible - not small animal smart at all...) They would neuter at 4 months and spay at 6, but it was about £100.. My new vets are great :) But I have to wait 6 months for Don to be neutered from them :)

£40'odd is cheap for a spay! Any vets I've been to is about the £90. I know rescues will get a cheaper deal if they have a good thing going with their vets.

6 months should be a good time for Minnie x

I think where you live is definately a factor- if it was £90 in boro I dont think many people would neuter their bunnies, but property prices are very cheap so the vets will have less overheads. The most expensive vet near me said they get very few in for neuters, but I used them over xmas to get benji and dave done as they did a promotional offer of £30 for castrations.
The vets who do it the cheapest are actually used by one of the big rabbit rescues near us so I dont know if the rescue have had a hand in making the prices so low.

Back