• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad news :(

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
I was ready to adopt 2 rabbits from the RSPCA next saturday...unfortunatly, the mum had to be put to sleep just before undergoing her spay operation :( She was a show mini-lop with a foot ring to prove but had ended up at the RSPCA, and now I think I know why.....Her teeth were in "horrendous condition" according to the vets and it had given her an absess and there wasn't even the option to try correct it :( So we lost her before we could even give her a chance...it was so sudden and unpredictable....everything was going so well.....

We're still adopting baby, and are now looking at a companion of the same age to put with them. We were going to name the mum Ginger but didn't have a name for the baby at the time...so we've decided to call the baby ginger in memory of her mum. We're all heart broken and the RSPCA fosterer had to get another carer to phone me off of her phone because she was so upset about the situation. Life can be so cruel :(

She was adorable and gave no signs to being ill, she was eating hay even when we visted her and was nicking my current bunnies hay very happily. I just hope nothing goes wrong now :(

Oh gosh i'm so sorry. :cry: I know how you feel, before i knew about rescues i was going to adopt a bun from a breeder, sadly the bun got bloat and had to be pts. :( I was so upset, then found another bun from a different breeder, she passed away before she came home too but I never met them. :( It's just so sad. *hugs*

I'm sure she had a lovely life when living with the fosterer and thank goodness the abcess was noticed before it got more painful.

I think it's lovely that you are going to name her daughter Ginger. You'll always have a part of mummy bun with you throughout her life. :love: I hope that ginger the baby doesn't have hurrendous teeth too? :(

Last edited:
Oh gosh i'm so sorry. :cry: I know how you feel, before i knew about rescues i was going to adopt a bun from a breeder, sadly the bun got bloat and had to be pts. :( I was so upset, then found another bun from a different breeder, she passed away before she came home too but I never net them. :( It's just so sad. *hugs*

I'm sure she had a lovely life when living with the fosterer and thank goodness the abcess was noticed before it got more painful.

I think it's lovely that you are going to name her daughter Ginger. You'll always have a part of mummy bun with you throughout her life. :love: I hope that ginger the baby doesn't have hurrendous teeth too? :(

Baby is 7 weeks old today and we're taking her next week so still very young...there is a chance she'll have it, but it may be that the mum had bad teeth due to feeds etc. Baby will ge given her current food and will be given lots of lovely hay to try and avoid this happening. Baby also has a "special" ear, her mum nibbled it while grooming the day she was born apparently, so she'll always have a reminder of her mum :)

Ginger is going to be bonded with our current pair but we are looking out for another young rabbit in need of rescueing so she has a similar age companion. The end senario will be a quad hopefully (fingers crossed)

So sorry about the mum. :( Best wishes to little Ginger, and hope everything works out for the bonding when the time comes.

Poor thing! I hope the ring number was traced to the breeder. Then again if the rabbit was sold as a pet before it turned up in the RSPCA (and the teeth problems were due to diet) not much can be done :(

Poor thing! I hope the ring number was traced to the breeder. Then again if the rabbit was sold as a pet before it turned up in the RSPCA (and the teeth problems were due to diet) not much can be done :(

Exactly :( Horrid shame, I'm truelly gutted for the poor rabbit

Back