• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In the event of a heatwave.............

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
Forecasters predict that this year is going to be a really HOT one. :(:(

I hate the hot weather and all the problems it brings with it.

Searching for new ideas for keeping buns cool.

I know about:
Frozen water bottles.
Ice pods.
Creating shade.
Good airflow.
Moistening bunnies ears to help cool them down.
Fresh water, 2/3 times daily.
Marble tiles to lie on.

A couple of ideas I have had are:

Soaking towels in cool water and then wringing out. Then securing them loosely to hutch/run etc and any slight breeze into the hutch/run etc will be slightly chilled. Perhaps a good idea for drying your washing!!!!

Also using white reflective things to reflect the heat. I used to have some very old white formica work surfaces, which on the hotter days were used on top of any accommodation. These were resting on top of a couple of bricks, on top of housing. Thus reflecting the heat and also by having a space between formica and accommodation giving further protection from the heat.

Old duvet covers can be used to give shade where needed.

In the heatwave of 2003, I converted my lounge into bunny accommodation. Fortunately it is north facing and is the coolest room in the house. OH wasn't too impressed though.:roll::roll: We all kept cool even though we were rather cramped. The humans that is, not the buns!

Any more ideas folks............

Let's be prepared for the worst.

Last edited:
I put white tiles down in the hutch, white lino could work too though. mine often push all the bedding to one side and just lay on the wood, but the wood is dark and gets hot quickly

I like the towel idea, hanging it over hutches, you can also give them damp towels to lay on

You can buy cage fans, but they're expensive especially if you have a lot of rabbits

I have kept Spenser's puppy crate up in my room, and had him in it when it was very warm outside yesterday. My room is cool until evening, by which time the sun has moved round from his hutch and run area. He did not like the frozen water bottles I provided last year - wouldn't lie near them at all.:roll:

Insulating the shed or playhouse with silver bubble wrap should help to keep things cool.

Indoor buns. Keep the curtains closed, fit a ceiling fan or use another fan high up out the way of the buns.

Slat.

Forgot to say, for buns living in sheds/playhouses, I've heard of hanging damp cold towels over the doorway, and hosing the roof with cold water

Back