• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best base for avairy style run?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
We are converting our old chickens pen to make a large housing area for the rabbits.
They cant have slabs because they are rex's and have mild sore hocks. Im not sure what to use.It has a roof on it so theres no point with grass as it will die. The chickens had wood chippings.

any ideas?

it may not be viable cost wise, depending on how big the run is, but what about vet bed on top of slabs?

I use woodchips for my rabbits and they are ok with them, but not sure how they would go down with sore hock buns.

You could use top soil and just stamp it down a lot to compact it. They would love being able to roll around on soil. Or you could just put down some turf. Once it dies it leaves behind a compact soil that is perfect for rabbits. Mine chose to sit where the grass has died rather than on the grass itself.

You could use top soil and just stamp it down a lot to compact it. They would love being able to roll around on soil. Or you could just put down some turf. Once it dies it leaves behind a compact soil that is perfect for rabbits. Mine chose to sit where the grass has died rather than on the grass itself.

I think this is quite a good suggestion. When my buns get time in their front-run they are always rolling around in the loose soil :)

This I'd turf it and just water every night with a couple of watering cans, I've got turf down in my aviary and it's covered so that's what I'm doing, you might need to chicken wire under the turf for rexes though or they'll be digging out - I had to take one lot up and re-do it as my little dutchie doe likes to tunnel :lol:

Yes i hadnt thought of watering the grass! thanks for the ideas.

will use turf and then water it regulary!

thanks guys :wave:

Back