• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you feed them hay?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Does anyone else not like the thought of their bunnies eating hay out of the litter tray that they've been sitting/pooping/weeing on??

My two won't use a manger so I just plonk a big pile of hay in their hutch and in the run (as well as their litter tray) ....... but it can get a bit messy with all those poops as they munch.

I'm now thinking that I may be being daft and should just bung the whole lot in the litter tray and try them with a manger again!

So, how do you offer your bunnies hay??

Try with a hay rack.
Place it above the litter tray, they'll munch and poop in the tray.
Your hay wont get wasted that much either.

Try with a hay rack.
Place it above the litter tray, they'll munch and poop in the tray.
Your hay wont get wasted that much either.

Yeah we've tried that a few times but they just don't eat out of the rack..... they totally ignore it! Even when I hid treats in amongst the hay in the rack they ignored it!! We put megazorb in the litter tray with a layer of hay on top and then a hay rack so they could sit and munch n poop - but they'd only eat the litter tray hay! (monkeys)!! :lol:

Yeah we've tried that a few times but they just don't eat out of the rack..... they totally ignore it! Even when I hid treats in amongst the hay in the rack they ignored it!! We put megazorb in the litter tray with a layer of hay on top and then a hay rack so they could sit and munch n poop - but they'd only eat the litter tray hay! (monkeys)!! :lol:

What sort of a rack do you use?

I think they're pretty good at picking out the clean bits from the tray. I only use litter trays in the kennel - I did put a hay rack up but got fed up of them trashing it. :lol::lol:

What I tend to do is put a small layer of hay in the tray in the morning, then add more throughout the day so that at least the top part is relatively clean.

I've sussed it with my two!

They have an underbed storage box as a litter tray with hay in, but in the corner of the box, there's a cardboard box with hay in :D
They won't use a rack, but they will use the cardboard box. SO even though they are peeing on hay, there's ALWAYS fresh stuff in their litter tray :D

AND no mess because the sides are too high for them to kick hay out! :lol:

I refresh my litter trays with fresh hay daily. They prefer to eat it this way, although i have racks, they get eaten from less frequently.

What sort of a rack do you use?

These type:

Photo0889.jpg

Photo1138.jpg

And when they were indoors I tried them with a wall mounted hanging basket above their litter tray.

One similar to that that screws to the wall and I've used a half hanging basket frame like this :

I think they're pretty good at picking out the clean bits from the tray. I only use litter trays in the kennel - I did put a hay rack up but got fed up of them trashing it. :lol::lol:

What I tend to do is put a small layer of hay in the tray in the morning, then add more throughout the day so that at least the top part is relatively clean.

Thanks, you'd hope so wouldn't you! lol I might just give it a go with just the litter trays, I'm just giving myself more work by leaving it all over the gaff, plus they'll never re-litter-train themselves at this rate! I usually top the litter tray hay up about 3 times a day, in a morning they get a clean litter tray with hay then I top up at teatime and suppertime too. Would that be enough do you think??

I've sussed it with my two!

They have an underbed storage box as a litter tray with hay in, but in the corner of the box, there's a cardboard box with hay in :D
They won't use a rack, but they will use the cardboard box. SO even though they are peeing on hay, there's ALWAYS fresh stuff in their litter tray :D

AND no mess because the sides are too high for them to kick hay out! :lol:

Thats a good idea ..... do you have any piccies of it? :D

Mine have hayracks and will eat out of them occasionally, but their very favourite is to sit in a big box of hay and chomp away!
I tend to put a little hay in their litter trays, but otherwise they have boxes and dogbeds full of hay to sit in.

Mine have hayracks and will eat out of them occasionally, but their very favourite is to sit in a big box of hay and chomp away!
I tend to put a little hay in their litter trays, but otherwise they have boxes and dogbeds full of hay to sit in.

Don't they pee/poop in the boxes/dogbeds?? Do you mean the plastic type of dog beds, the sturdy ones??

Don't they pee/poop in the boxes/dogbeds?? Do you mean the plastic type of dog beds, the sturdy ones??

Yes, they do, but not that often. I put a layer of wooden cat litter pellets in the bottom, and clean them out regularly. They are the plastic ones, as they are easy to clean.

These type:

Photo0889.jpg

Photo1138.jpg

And when they were indoors I tried them with a wall mounted hanging basket above their litter tray.

One similar to that that screws to the wall and I've used a half hanging basket frame like this :

Is it the same hay in the rack as the litter tray?

luckily MJ only really poos and wees in one side of his litter tray so I always make sure there's a fresh pile the other side and it seems to work!

He definitely wouldn't mind eating the poo and wee covered hay but it eeks me out :shock:

Is it the same hay in the rack as the litter tray?

You can't really tell from those pics but its different hay, I used to put their 'posh' hay in the rack and their baled hay in the litter tray - they only ate the baled hay.

Now I put the baled hay in the litter tray and the 'posh' hay in a big pile in the hutch and run and they eat both. :?

Could it be that they just can't be bothered trying to pull it out of the rack??? And its just easier if its in the litter tray or a big pile??

luckily MJ only really poos and wees in one side of his litter tray so I always make sure there's a fresh pile the other side and it seems to work!

He definitely wouldn't mind eating the poo and wee covered hay but it eeks me out :shock:

:lol: bless em eh! :lol:

I put some hay in the litter tray then some in a half flower basket thing, and some in hay balls, I top it up throughout the day

Back