• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur - Latest Opinions??!!

scatter

Alpha Buck
My very rabbit experienced vet is now unsure himself as to what is the best thing to do - and he says that many colleagues feel the same. He recommended I Panacur my two at Christmas for the 28 day course (as a preventative measure) and is now just worried because he thinks that really all buns should have twice yearly (or whenever they go to the vets - as they can easily pick things up there) preventative treatments. He says 28 days now twice a year. He is going to a conference in October where he says there is going to be an update on the recommendations of Panacuring (from vet research rather than the manufacturer), so he hopes to find out more then. He feels it is safe to give this treatment again as there have been no proven side effects in rabbits, although he does acknowledge that there have been in birds?

I really don't know what to do any more. I don't want to leave my buns open to the risk of worms/parasites/E Cuni, but don't want to give them too many drugs for too long.

What does everybody else do at the moment?

I also wrote to Intervet, but they obviously say it's completely safe at the doses they recommend and don't acknowledge that there is so much controversy about it. HELP:roll::shock:

Last edited:
I do a one off 28 day course at a dose of 20mg/kg/day

I do not treat again unless clinical symptoms of EC present

IMO (UNQUALIFIED of course) repeated prophylactic treatment could lead to Fenbendazole resistance. Also, I have concerns about the negative effect Fenbendazole may have on bone marrow production/the immune system.

My rabbit was on oxibendazole (similar to panacur) twice. First round he was fine. Second he died, in part to bone marrow issues. So I'm not a big fan right now.

:roll:I'ld be keen to know people's opinions on panacur and lapozole.
I've brought an eldelry boy home today to bond with my widowed middle aged doe.
I am considering dosing them both especially given I've seen her not put her back left paw down properly a few times this week and she has poo stains on her bottom.
Equally the other half of my brain tells me she's fine, her weightbaring has been a claw issue and her bottom care is off as a result of the heat and the bereavement and now appearance of a new boy......
My instinct tells me to treat them but I know there's good evidence to only treat buns showing symptoms of EC.............
Major quandry......
:roll:
PS Sorry for your loss

I do a one off 28 day course at a dose of 20mg/kg/day

I do not treat again unless clinical symptoms of EC present

IMO (UNQUALIFIED of course) repeated prophylactic treatment could lead to Fenbendazole resistance. Also, I have concerns about the negative effect Fenbendazole may have on bone marrow production/the immune system.

Thanks Jane - I do agree with you on this, I just get really worried about when they go to the vets and then feel I must do another dose:roll:

:roll:I'ld be keen to know people's opinions on panacur and lapozole.
I've brought an eldelry boy home today to bond with my widowed middle aged doe.
I am considering dosing them both especially given I've seen her not put her back left paw down properly a few times this week and she has poo stains on her bottom.
Equally the other half of my brain tells me she's fine, her weightbaring has been a claw issue and her bottom care is off as a result of the heat and the bereavement and now appearance of a new boy......
My instinct tells me to treat them but I know there's good evidence to only treat buns showing symptoms of EC.............
Major quandry......

This is the trouble isn't it - once you're told something, it's hard to not do it isn't it?:roll:

Two different rabbit vets I have seen told me to only dose a bunny who is exhibiting signs of EC, and never to dose a healthy bunny, not worth the risk. Of course after losing two bunnies to EC, I am worried about my remaining bunny, Lilly.

I also wonder about the following. Lilly was exposed to EC. Is it fair to bring another bunny in? I asked about having her tested for same, but many bunnies are carriers and pose no risk. Not to mention any bunny I bring in could have EC. This whole EC thing is ruining bunnies for me. I really wish they could find a cure, like distemper shots for cats.

Back