• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does the pts injection that kills the animal hurt them?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Just curious. I know lethal injection would for humans- would there be any pain for an animal being pts from the actual jab?

In what way would a lethal injection be painful for a human?

If they don't give the barbiturates it's excruciatingly painful, like your veins and arteries and heart have been set on fire and like your lungs are being crushed apparently.

When my cat, Khan, was pts they gave him a sedative before the injection to stop his heart. I think without the sedatives it's painful but in my experience they have always anaesthetised so that there would be no pain.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110215093307AA7gsVz

I don't normally take anything seriously on yahoo answers- but there seems to be a few who think it's excruitating which is why human rights people are trying to get it stopped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_injection#Cruel_and_unusual

Did anyone here about that dog that survived being pts?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/some-examples-post-furman-botched-executions

In somecases there is failed lethal injection in humans so why then wouldn't there be for animals- and would this hurt the animal that survived. I.e in the case of the dog that survived being pts??

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/capitalpunishment/ig/Types-of-Executions/Lethal-Injections.htm

Complications: Pentothol does not always induce a coma, leaving the disturbing possibility that at least some prisoners killed by lethal injection may experience extreme pain due to the administration of potassium chloride--without any means of expressing that pain, thanks to the paralysis brought about by the Pavulon. For this reason, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Hill v. Crosby (2006) that death row prisoners may challenge lethal injection procedures under the Eighth Amendment.

Last edited:
I've helped with lots of put to sleeps- with my own and other people's animals. The 2 things that seem to distress them is the clippers- dogs and cats get their legs shaved and larger animal a bit on their necks- and the actual needle going in. I have never seem an animal actually look in pain with the injection being injected. I usually get an animal sedated now so that they do not feel the needle, where practical, in some cases the animal is so poorly it is not aware. I think for small animals where the needle goes into the heart or abdomen it has to be painful, but I don't think the injection itself is. In most cases it is pretty instantaneous anyway.

Being honest a moment's pain is acceptable compared to longer term panic and pain while something dies naturally, for me anyway.
The other thing to remember is the humans killed by lethal injection are not ready to die and i would imagine it would be hard to determine if they were feeling pain or panic during the process.

Last edited:
It's just an overdose of anaesthetic isn't it?
I've been knocked out to be put to sleep and it doesn't hurt.
They'll feel the needle go in and it'll be a bit sore, but at the end of the day I'd rather a few seconds of soreness in their leg that lets them drift off to sleep then to die a slow and painful death.

It is always really quick, and the vets listen to the heart to make sure it has stopped, or they should do, I ask for a sedative for my pets too, I then hold them in my arms and speak to them telling them how special they are, the minute they go I fall to bits, I stay strong whilst they need me to, I like to stay with them for a while afterwards, and every pet that goes takes a bit of my heart with them and leaves a part of them in my heart forever

I feel really sad thinking about this:cry:

Some vets advise owners not to go in with their pets whilst they're being pts though, especially because I'm young they've always strongly advised me not to be there. I've always wondered if this was because it hurt them. I've never had one of my own pets pts thankfully but we've had family dogs pts and considered it for my guinea pig but she died at home before. My friend said her rat squealed when he was being pts :cry:

I think it's being restrained that upsets most pets. The actual drug is just like going to sleep for an anaesthetic.. totally painless. For small animals like rats they can give them a whiff of gas first to knock them out so they can give the injection more easily.

I've stayed with 2 cats and a rabbit that have been PTS and it was very, very quick like literally seconds and they certainly didn't seem distressed or in pain at all.

I've stayed with 2 cats and a rabbit that have been PTS and it was very, very quick like literally seconds and they certainly didn't seem distressed or in pain at all.

Same - our Yorkie was PTS and it was very quick, and little Blackberry had to be helped to the bridge - he couldn't have a drip in his ear as he had such tiny ears, so he had 2 injections, and the vet assured me he wouldn't feel any pain from them - I miss my boy :cry:

Same - our Yorkie was PTS and it was very quick, and little Blackberry had to be helped to the bridge - he couldn't have a drip in his ear as he had such tiny ears, so he had 2 injections, and the vet assured me he wouldn't feel any pain from them - I miss my boy :cry:

:( I miss my pets too.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I think the concensus is it's not the same chemicals as lethal injection for humans and more like anesthetic overdose? Am i right there?

Sorry about everyone who has had to go through having an animal pts. *hugs* x

I have done so, but i haven't been there whilst it was done but i know my vets love animals and are very kind so i wouldn't hestitate to think they would do it properly.

My understanding is they are given two loads - the first is acts as any general anaesthetic would and drop them into a deep and painless sleep.

Then they are given more which is enough to stop their heart. As they are deeply asleep they feel nothing.

Our beautiful bunny Bobby had to be helped to the bridge. It was all very calm and he was very good, sat quietly while it all happened. The vet then checked his heart several times and then looked at us and nodded.

We then both cried like babies. I am tearing up thinking about our brave boy even now.

We miss you little man. xxx

I always thought the lethal injection is just a massive overdose of the anestetic. I've stayed with and held the dogs and horses I've owned as they were PTS. I think it is our duty to be there and be strong in their final moments, showing our love and compassion for them until the end. I've never seen an animal react badly or in pain, they just seem peaceful and slip away. I do know though with young horses, some say it's better to use a captive bolt pistol as especially if they've got their adrenaline up (e.g broken leg at a race) as they can fight the drug and react badly.

I can only say for my own bunny when I was present at the pts that it was was very quick and peaceful and certainly appeared painless.

I'm sure the stuff given to prisoners by lethal injection in USA is quite different to what vets give bunnies in UK.

sue:wave:

I think it depends on the health of the animal.

When Peanut was put to sleep her jerked and you could see it hurt him. When Bonnie was put to sleep she barely moved and she just drifted off to sleep. While Peanut was poorly hes health that day was fine, he was put to sleep them because within a matter of days the infection would have gone into the bone and i didnt see the point in waiting and watching him suffer.

Bonnie was very very old. So its different circumstances. None of us can say it does or it doesnt because its different for different situations.

Pearl was so ready to die she felt no pain, her heart stopped before the injection had even finished.

not sure how an overdose of anestetic (sp) hurts tho apart from the needle itself :?

Last edited:
Back