• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What time do you clean your buns out each day?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
When is your best time of day- do you have a set time you clean them out and when do you feel at your best to do this?

Do you tend to clean them before you go to work or when you get back?

Last thing in the evening?
Or sometime in the day if you don't work?

Just wondering what other peoples cleaning patterns are. I used to clean them out in the afternoon and sometimes in the evening, but i've found cleaning them first thing in the morning makes me feel best as i know they have a clean bed throughout the day.
xx

Don't have a pattern as such. I replenish the litter trays every other day, replace the newspaper in the cage and disinfect once a week.

Not at a particular time of day though. Sometimes it's before I go to bed, other times when I wake up, other times I go "balls, haven't done the litter trays" and do it at random times of day :D

I have house buns, i clean them out at some point in the evening between 8pm and 10pm. It is just the time that suits me best.

I clean out the litter tray in the morning while he's nomming his breakfast pellets. Then I normally do it again when I get in from work if there's a lot in there! And before bed. So 2/3 times a day. Only takes a couple of mins each time and I'd rather keep on top of it so it doesn't take longer next time!

I do a proper wash once a week, the above is just removing wet litter and poo, and adding clean litter to it!

I clean out the litter tray in the morning while he's nomming his breakfast pellets. Then I normally do it again when I get in from work if there's a lot in there! And before bed. So 2/3 times a day. Only takes a couple of mins each time and I'd rather keep on top of it so it doesn't take longer next time!

I do a proper wash once a week, the above is just removing wet litter and poo, and adding clean litter to it!

Thats quite alot- do you just use newspaper and hay? i clean all the buns out once daily- i thought about increasing it, but haven't as of yet.

Usually last thing before bed, although I usually sweep up a small "pile" that he leaves straight after I clean everything!
Then a quick sweep up when I get up.

I don't like leaving it and going to bed, I like it to be clean for him to sleep.

I change the litter trays every evening. That way they have nice clean litter trays for bedtime. ;)

However, if any poops have escaped from the litter trays I tidy them away in the mornings.

I have started a new pattern for Summer :lol:

I now clean their potties in the morning sometime before 12pm so I know they have clean potties for the day and to avoid nasty smells left over from the night before and obviously most importantly to hopefully not attract any flies!
I also give them fresh eating hay and fresh water at the same time.

Then around about 8pm ish I will re clean the potties and do the fresh water and hay again.

As they have blankets and vet bed as bedding because they are fully potty trained I only change the bedding once a week and tend to do it on my 'Bedding day' which is now a Wednesday.

I clean out the litter tray first thing in the morning after the buns have had their breakfast pellets, this is about 7.30am, every day without fail! Could really do with a lie in though! :wave:

I have started a new pattern for Summer :lol:

I now clean their potties in the morning sometime before 12pm so I know they have clean potties for the day and to avoid nasty smells left over from the night before and obviously most importantly to hopefully not attract any flies!
I also give them fresh eating hay and fresh water at the same time.

Then around about 8pm ish I will re clean the potties and do the fresh water and hay again.

As they have blankets and vet bed as bedding because they are fully potty trained I only change the bedding once a week and tend to do it on my 'Bedding day' which is now a Wednesday.

This sounds good and something that would work for me. My worry is flys being attracted also in the summer.

In the evening there are no flys- so i'm not concerned with the evening, so the morning clean would be most important before 10am when the flys tend to come out.

Twice a day would take me 6 hours daily just cleaning given it takes me 3 hours currently for just cleaning. I have lino too.

I empty the underbed boxes, replace with fresh newspaper and megazorb and hay- there are 2-3 trays in one hutch/run. If i have less trays my lot just poo and pee on the lino where they want, so this is the only way that has been effective, but maybe why it takes me a fair amount of time to clean. I also fill up the waters and feed at the same time, which takes me 30 minutes to do all the buns.

Mine pee all over vet beds and by morning if i use them- they are drenched in pee and difficult to clean. I can't use towels either as they end up covered in hay then breaking my washer.

I think once a day is enough for cleaning, but i think in the mornings is essential before the morning flys come out. This not being a risk in the evening means an evening clean is not as essential in my view.

Each morning around 8am they get a new, clean litter tray, fresh hay and fresh water, I sweep the run and sweep up any stray poops in the hutch then too all whilst they're having their breakfast pellets.

When I come home from work they have their tea-time pellets and I do a quick sweep up of stray poops and top up their hay and change their water.

Just before bed I take them their supper veg and again sweep up any stray poops and top up hay if need be.

Once a week I disinfect the whole hutch but time varies, just when its convenient really.

I clean out the litter tray first thing in the morning after the buns have had their breakfast pellets, this is about 7.30am, every day without fail! Could really do with a lie in though! :wave:

I think this is a good routine. I don't get a lay in either. Cassie my doggie wakes me at 6am now! It used to be 7:30am!

I think cleaning them out once a day is a bit excessive IMO. Litter trays fair enough but whole hutch once or twice a week is fine to me.

I think cleaning them out once a day is a bit excessive IMO. Litter trays fair enough but whole hutch once or twice a week is fine to me.

I just sweep the lino as it has no substrate or paper down at all anymore as i found towels were a nightmare to clean and if i put paper down they just toliet on it, so all i have is litter trays. I wipe round with a cloth daily, but only do an occasional disinfect every couple of weeks or if they have made a mess or unless i have an ill bun or a new bun in. Buns that are healthy don't get chemicals used on the hutch very often, although i don't mind using vinegar.

I do Louie's tray sometime from 3pm onwards and then sweep up all the hay I have managed to spill everywhere!

I empty out their litter trays completely every three days. Then proper clean of the hutch every week. Then a mega disinfectant clean every three weeks to a month.

Not quite as much as you guys but with working full time plus the stupily small general waste bins that we get for a family of four (plus seven furries) it just wouldn't be feasbile to do it any more.

I clean them out everyday early evening, am about to go and do it now. I completely clean out littler trays and sweep out every poop, and spray if there have been any stray wees or nasty sticky poops. They get fresh hay again too, and any left over hay goes into their litter tray on top of megazorb.

I clean out Buddy's litter tray every evening (about 6pm-ish) and do the whole hutch once a week :wave:

Back