• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just back from the new vets and ......

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
......... not very happy at all!!

They only went for their myxi jabs but during the consultation the vet ....

scruffed and tranced the buns.

said I only needed to give them myxi once a year as its carried by fleas so they wouldn't get it in winter.

said I should turn them over each day like she did (trancing) and tickle their tummies because they like it!!!!!

wouldn't let me hold or handle them at all whilst in there which stressed them out even more.

Oh and she wants me to cut pellets out altogether - which I know some people do but she was like - nope, they don't need them, its processed ****!!!

They are NOT happy bunnies!!

Do your vets ever trance your buns?? I mean, the last one cradled them but this one put Rascal in a full on trance!! :shock:

The only plus point was that it was only a 10 min drive instead of a 45 min one!! However, I think the bunnies were more stressed when I got them home than last time!!

Are they rabbit savvy, if they are they should know better ?
Maybe mention the name of your vets and someone on here could tell you if they are rabbit savvy or not ?
:wave:

I have been considering changing my vet as I don't think he is as bunny savvy as I would like:(

He never trances my buns though and I always hold them rather than the nurse. He used to ask a nurse to do it but the buns tried to get to me and the vet soon realised that they were happier and struggled much less if I was holding them. When he came to me to do their myxi jabs he didn't even bring a nurse with him, just someone on work experience, who just watched but didn't touch anybun.

It's a difficult choice to make when one vet is much further away - especially when you have to consider emergencies. Is there another vet at the practice who may be better?

Thanks for your replies!

The vet is in Blackpool, the vet I saw is the owner of the practice so you'd have thought she'd know her stuff!!

I've remembered something else she said actually that I wasn't sure about ...... she said that if bunnies have a mucky bum its because there's a problem with their teeth ... is that right? It may well be, I have no idea but I thought they had mucky bums either because of their diet (excess caecotrophs) or because they couldn't clean themselves properly (overweight, old, arthritic).

Oh and they're both now 2.6kilos ....... when they went to the other vet for nail clipping a few weeks ago they were 2.9!!! So at least being outside and a cut down in treats/pellets is working. They're much more active outdoors.

There is another vet I could try nearby, failing that they'll just have to go back to the one thats a 45 min drive ..... they're fab vets there tho!

Last edited:
I have been considering changing my vet as I don't think he is as bunny savvy as I would like:(

He never trances my buns though and I always hold them rather than the nurse. He used to ask a nurse to do it but the buns tried to get to me and the vet soon realised that they were happier and struggled much less if I was holding them. When he came to me to do their myxi jabs he didn't even bring a nurse with him, just someone on work experience, who just watched but didn't touch anybun.

It's a difficult choice to make when one vet is much further away - especially when you have to consider emergencies. Is there another vet at the practice who may be better?

Yeah the other vets always lets me hold them, they wriggle a lot less when we do it that way! But this vet wasn't having any of it!!! :(

Hmm, I too wouldn't be happy. We just got back from our myxi jabbing session and my other half held Gerts, the vet worked around what made us and Gertie comfortable, as she normally does. :)

Doesn't sound good to me.
My vet craddles and covers his eyes (because Jenson is a total handful) but this was just once, usually I hold him on the table or let him hide his head in my jacket. He was pretty good at his second myxi, no escape attempt, although he didn't want to go on the scales!

Doesn't sound good to me.
My vet craddles and covers his eyes (because Jenson is a total handful) but this was just once, usually I hold him on the table or let him hide his head in my jacket. He was pretty good at his second myxi, no escape attempt, although he didn't want to go on the scales!

Yep this is what my two usually do and they're as good as gold ....... but because she wouldn't let me handle them today they were really freaked out!

The trancing thing really bothered me ........ especially her saying that if you turn them over at least once a day and tickle their tummies they like it!!! :shock:

My vets had an article in their newsletter saying that you should not trance rabbits as it is very stressful for them

I would be quite angry if somebody did that to my bunnies, my vet always handles pets with care and takes time to make sure they are as stress free as they can be

My vets had an article in their newsletter saying that you should not trance rabbits as it is very stressful for them

I would be quite angry if somebody did that to my bunnies, my vet always handles pets with care and takes time to make sure they are as stress free as they can be

I know!! Its so traumatic for them!! Why would a vet not know that?!?! :shock:

I was nearly crying on the way home ..... Rascal was absolutely petrified, so much so he let me fuss him for a good half hour when we got home - normally he's off like a shot! He wouldn't eat for a couple of hours afterwards either and I was getting a bit worried but he's nomming on his hay and has had some pellets and a bit of veg since!

The final straw for me leaving my old vets was when they scruffed Castiel. We only live up the road from them so it is annoying but I prefer going to my current vet where the animals get treated with respect and we may be lightly mocked :lol: but he knows his stuff. I'll only go to the old place in a dire emergency when I know exactly what I need.

If you aren't 100% happy, I wouldn't go back :wave: vet visits should bring relief not further stress!

Trancing and Scruffing?? Good God...:shock:
Surprised he didnt pick up by the ears too!!!
Discard vet with immediate effect into the nearest bin!!!

I have seen maybe 10 different vets within 2 practices with my rabbits over the years and I have never encountered one who scruffed or tranced.

I have always been allowed to hold my own rabbit apart from at a spay check up when Maisy had to have a remaining, protruding stitch clamped and cut but I was there while it was done and happy with how the nurse handled her and restrained her for the vet.

One of the vets I see is the same as Jenson (Guy Carter) he is excellent, gets them straight on the scales when they come out of their carriers and they sit very still usually as they are assessing their surroundings still. He is gentle and understanding of them. I hold them for their health checks and vaccs - I am sometimes fearful that I may get the vaccination if I don't hold on right but ok to date!

I would leave this vet but not before letting them know how dissappointed I was.

I'm a bit confused about the whole trancing thing. Spenser's usual vet has, I think, done this a couple of times, but not always. She never said that was what she was doing, and always held Spenser in a comforting, more normal way before and after. He is a very difficult to handle rabbit, and has also had to be rolled in a towel once. If it's just a vaccine, I just hold him steady on the table.

Back