• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to shade an aviary!?!

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Any ideas??

My garden is south facing and the aviary has a clear plastic corrugated roof :

Photo2146.jpg

Which is brilliant until it gets to late afternoon and the sun hits it at a certain angle..... and it turns into a greenhouse!

Yesterday I covered the part of the roof affected with wet fleeces ...... but I'm after a more permanent solution.

Thought about painting the top of the roof white (white deflects sunlight??) or even boarding out the aviary inside under the roof but not sure if that would make it too dark.

We have some old dustsheets so as a temporary measure we're going to put a false ceiling in the aviary - like a tent, hoping that will stop too much heat getting in!

It was fine (and mostly shaded) until late afternoon but boy did it heat up quick once the sun was on it!!!

They have an ice pod, some frozen bricks and a couple of frozen water bottles but they don't seem to like lying near them!

I've pegged a large fleece to the long side of aviary which gives them shade (and I keep watering it with the hose) and also the big tree behind shades the aviary for most of the day, its just when it gets to about 4pm that the sun seems to be at an angle that hits the roof full on!

Any ideas??

Last edited:
We paint on the white greenhouse shading paint on our aviary roof - it works quite well.And on really sunny days we throw a heavy blanket over part of it too :)

We paint on the white greenhouse shading paint on our aviary roof - it works quite well.And on really sunny days we throw a heavy blanket over part of it too :)

Oh brilliant, thanks very much, I didn't know such a thing existed!! Where did you get it from?? Can you just paint it straight on top??

Oh brilliant, thanks very much, I didn't know such a thing existed!! Where did you get it from?? Can you just paint it straight on top??

We always get ours from Wilkinsons when they clear the garden stuff at the end of the summer and there's 75% off, and keep it for the next year :lol:

I think it's about £4.00 a box, and you can either spray or paint it on (we tried the spraying once, but that was very messy and it goes further when you paint it)

I've got the same dilemma with the one I'm currently building. I'm intending to use greenhouse shading. ie dark green nylon netting, it says on the packet that it cuts out 50% of the light.

I bought some of those car windscreen shades (Halfords / Wilco) and have 2 of those attached to the roof permanently at the moment.

Then I have another one that I hang at the front of the aviary in the late afternoon which provides a little more shade. I do need to get some more.

Sky-O found those sunbathing mats with a metallic backing at a pound store last year. I'm going to try to find some of those cos they're a lot cheaper!!

I would hang a blanket off some hooks so that it covers one of the 3ft wide panels. If things got really bad you could replace the corrugated clear PVC with corrugated bitumen sheets. I'm surprised you have a problem with trapped heat since it's so open, even the slightest breeze should blow away the heat.

I've got the same dilemma with the one I'm currently building. I'm intending to use greenhouse shading. ie dark green nylon netting, it says on the packet that it cuts out 50% of the light.

I was going to suggest the shading net stuff. :D

I would hang a blanket off some hooks so that it covers one of the 3ft wide panels. If things got really bad you could replace the corrugated clear PVC with corrugated bitumen sheets. I'm surprised you have a problem with trapped heat since it's so open, even the slightest breeze should blow away the heat.

Thanks, we've done this with a big fleece and I water it with the hose, which does help a lot.

Maybe it was just with yesterday being such a turn in the weather, its been raining here for practically 2 weeks running they yesterday it was about 23 degrees with no breeze at all. It may just have been a one off but when I sat in there with them at 4pm it was just like being in a greenhouse!

Will definitely try some of these ideas, and the paint! Sooo pleased its from Wilks! :D

Thanks everyone! :D

I've got these opaque panels (I think they're called Coruline or something like that). My aviaries stay cool in the summer.

It would be expensive for you to swap to them now, but just in case you need to replace your roof in the future:

DSCF0756.jpg

I've got these opaque panels (I think they're called Coruline or something like that). My aviaries stay cool in the summer.

It would be expensive for you to swap to them now, but just in case you need to replace your roof in the future:

DSCF0756.jpg

Oooh fab set-up!!! And that's a good idea .... OH is talking about extending the aviary at some point so will probably need new roofing then. Definitely one to remember for when/if that happens, thanks.

Are you sure it wasn't just the lack of wind that made it feel hotter than usual?
Some sort of solar powered fan might help with that

Are you sure it wasn't just the lack of wind that made it feel hotter than usual?
Some sort of solar powered fan might help with that

Thanks - tbh it could have been ..... its a lot more breezy today and it feels sooo much better in there. OH mentioned maybe getting a solar powered fan, so yeah that could be an option.

I'll see how things pan out today, I could just be being paranoid (again)!

I use greenhouse shade netting, you can buy it off the roll so as long as you like.

Nice setup!

Back