• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another poo thread... any ideas?

MichG

Mama Doe
I have decided to keep my foster bun (now named Minky).

Basically I work for a vets inside P@H and the first day we opened (3 weeks ago) we noticed one of the buns out the back for going on sale was just skin and bone, so we told P@H we were going to take her and fatten her up and bring her back to them.

Since I have had her she has nearly gone into stasis once, although this didn't last long at all. But this last week she has produced some strange poops. 3 nights this week she has produced poops which are tiny. Like the size of the letter o <---- just there (no other way to describe) and other poops have been irregular, they look like they are more raisen shaped, and have that wrinkly look to them. Also her anus always looks slightly open.

My vet doesn't know what it is, but we are giving her biolapis every day and she is eating and drinking normally and has had nothing new in her diet. She is totally her normal self and if full of energy and life, she eats loads of grass and hay, about 5 nuggets of food and a small bit of green veg. We think she is about 11 weeks.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hmm I am wondering if the weather is affecting my buns as they are not quite themselves and Jimbys poops have got a little smaller.
I would say that as long as she is still eating, drinking and pooping just keep an eye on her.
It may be the upheavle of the move etc, so may just need time to settle down?

Has she had diarrhoea *prior* to the stasis ?

Has she been tested for/treated for coccidiosis ?

What is her water intake like and what is her diet ?

Has she had diarrhoea *prior* to the stasis ?

Has she been tested for/treated for coccidiosis ?

What is her water intake like and what is her diet ?

No, no diarrhoea what so ever!
She has been started on Bayrtil injection today until the vets get some Septrin in on monday for snuffles, so I guess that will help the coccidiosis if it is?

She drinks a "normal" amount, by normal I mean that I wouldn't say it is particularly different from any of the other buns. She shares her hutch/run/life with another bun - Snoopy who has shown no symptoms.

Her diet... well she has about 6-10 nuggets in the morning and then is out on grass most of the day (introduced slowly over the 3 weeks). When she isn't on grass she is a hay eating monster, she goes mad for the stuff. In the evening she gets a small sprig of parsley and a tiny bit of spring greens but no dried food, just hay and she gets her sachet of Bio Lapis.

I am thinking a hay only diet for a few days to see if there are any changes?
I hate having her on antib's at so young :(

Back