• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip not too well after dental :(

katie2000

Alpha Buck
A different vet did Pips dental today (molars) and I'm worried. He has a good appetite but appears to be struggling with eating hay. It's as though he it unable to chew :(

The actual dental itself went well - his teeth had small spikes on them but no damage to the cheeks or tongue. I am worried that the vet has either:

1. burred the teeth to far down
2. put too much pressure on the teeth and now they are very sore

Pip has had pain relief for today and I will be going back in the morning for some more. What else can I do? Should I be syringe feeding at this stage?

is he eating pellets and veg OK? Pebbles hasn't eaten hay since his dental nearly 3 weeks ago. He was losing weight, so I fed him all his favourite things, apple & banana and pellets and he has also been on a course of antibiotics since sunday and he started eating grass a few days ago- but still not touching hay.

I would just try feeding him as much of what he will eat, but if he stops eating completely then take him back to vet.

He is having a good go at pellets and grass at the moment and is struggling with the grass but has managed to get a handful of pellets down.

I can't leave pellets out all night though otherwise blackberry will scoff the lot so I might have to keep getting up to feed him.

Is your bun still on pain relief fruitandnutcake?

I just hate thought of it being too painful for him to eat :( poor thing

Thank you :)

We have been back at the vets this morning and he has had an injection of painkiller which has picked him up a bit and is also responding well to syringe feeding. Fingers crossed he will be able to eat on his own soon

my vet gave Pebbles one shot of painkiller by injection, which she said would last for 24 hours, She said if he didn't eat hay in those 24 hours with painkiller, then he wouldn't need further painkillers but she gave me a strong antibiotic to reduce the inflammation (Marbocyl) which I have been giving him daily since Sunday, and this seems to have helped. His pellet consumption has gone from 5g to over 60g a day. and his weight has gone from 1.4Kg to 1.8 Kg. For the first few days I brought him in (day & night) to feed him separately from his mate Poppy, but started putting out a large bowl of nuggets at night (about 60g) and put him in run with Poppy overnight - just assumed that she may eat half of it too - but I'm not too worried if she has pellets as she is a big hay eater! I still bring him in each day so that he can have access to continuous pellets and weed/salad/grass mixture ( though he picks out most of the salad from the grass!) he doesn't seem to want to graze outside at the moment cos of the wind i think.

Poor pebbles! Glad he is putting on weight now. Dental buns are so problematic!

Pip has just had a good run in the garden and I spotted him nibbling on some hay earlier. He still looks rather uncomfortable eating but at least he is attempting hay now. He has another appointment at the vets tomorrow for another shot of painkiller if necessary.

I think I will have to start feeding blackberry seperately too, she is getting most upset at the amount of pellets Pip has been offered.

glad to hear that pip is improving:)

i found that the last twice eric had dentals, he needed pain relief for 4-5 days afterwards. he's a stresshead though so i gave him oral pain relief prescribed by my vet rather than take him back every day.

are his poops ok in size?

Back